I'm answering a question on david mcmahon's blog: "What's the most important thing you've ever lost?" Some may think I instantly answered, "my mind" but my thoughts went immediately to my Dad.

It was over 30 years ago, so it surprised me that it was the first "lost" I could think of (I regularly lose keys, children, my temper and most recently-- the oil bill... not a good loss). So I've pondered it a bit and considered what I lost from his early death.
When my dad left on an out-of-town bowling trip, I never expected he wouldn't come back. I lost that invincible feeling all children should have.
When he left behind a grieving widow, I also lost my Mom. She worked two jobs and went through years of anger--at him for leaving her behind.
I lost the man who would let me ride my bike to work to see him. He worked at the Glen Canyon Dam, and amidst all of the turbines, dripping tunnels and bright yellow hard hats, I liked "his" snack machine the best.
There would be no more midnight drives talking on the CB radio when he bowled an amazing score.

As for driving, without him to drive, we no longer did our annual 3-day drive to Kentucky to see family.
I lost my privacy. It's not always good to tell a prepubescent girl that her daddy still watches over her all of the time. I hid myself while on the toilet, in the bathtub, while changing clothes.
I lost my immediate family (Mom, brother and sister). We all kind of just went separate ways--well, everyone else went their own way, I was 13, where was I going to go?
I went to drugs. When my dad died I lost my innocence. Swimming among kids who lived for the next high or shot of tequila, I lost sight of my dreams.
I lost 11 inches of hair on a party night. My dad would never let me cut my long, thick hair and since he was gone, I let a drunk cut it all off. I've only managed to let it get that long again once in 30 years-- but it wasn't thick and shiny. It was an older person's over-processed hair, so I never saw it pretty like that again.
When I found my way back to some normalcy (as normal as a 17 year-old girl basically raising herself can get-- Mom may have hit a mid-life crisis in here somewhere), my father wasn't at my theater productions, choir performances, High School Graduation, or when I graduated from college.
At my wedding, he wasn't there to give me away. A white Calla Lily sat on the chair that would've been his.
He has never held my children, never heard A2's infectious giggle, or marveled at A1's beautiful dimpled smile; heard J1 rock the house with his drums, seen J2 leap straight up in the air to block a goal or watch us all fall head-over-heals for a little mischievous baby girl.
I lost the ability to trust that we will see each other again tomorrow.
Which is a good thing, I think.
One night, during a terrible time with our oldest son, I spent the whole night worrying that he would take his life and leave this planet thinking we didn't love him. But I did love him. With all of my heart. I just wanted to ring his neck, not lose him forever.Which is a good thing, I think.
I also gained a beautiful man as a step-father, and saw my Mom emerge again.
I would've never joined my church, met my husband (had these destructive Spring Breakers--I mean blessings!) and moved all over the world.
And because I wouldn't have moved away from my family and friends to a new country where I sat alone while my husband played in the sand in the Middle East, I may have never felt lonely enough to start blogging.
And I would've missed out on you.
The people whose comments make my heart smile and posts sometimes makes it cry.
And that, my friends, isn't a loss at all.
Wow. What a powerful post. It's amazing the changes we see in our lives after the loss of a loved one.
ReplyDeleteYou are an amazing person and I'm glad that I was able to meet you through your blog.
Stacy
thank you for the post. it's good to remember that we shouldn't take for granted the time we have on this Earth and particularly the people we share that time with. sometimes i think about how quickly my life could change; and then i try my hardest not to think about it.
ReplyDeletethat was beautifully written... thanks for sharing :)
ReplyDeletemy dad didn't die but I never knew him. I've often thought of the things that he's missing out on by not being a part of our life!
This is an amazing post. I can't begin to type words that do it justice, so I will just say thank you for sharing a piece of your heart.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post. You have a wonderful way of being "so real" - and I love that about you. And you're right, all the struggles, the pain, ... brought you where you are today. There's a country song by Rascal Flatts... "God Bless the broken road that led me straight to you."
ReplyDeleteDo you ever talk out loud to your Dad when you have a private moment? (IF you have a private moment in your house, that is.) I believe he can hear you and can see his grand children. And no doubt he is proud of the woman and mother you are.
I lost my dad four years ago, completely and totally unexpectedly, so I can relate in some ways. I wasn't a young girl, so I can only imagine the pain you went through in that area.
ReplyDeleteMy recipes aren't all posted online, but if there's something in particular you're looking for, I can point you in the right direction from Menu Plan Monday. The other recipes, I have yet to post. I have cheese enchiladas, Texas chocolate sheet cake, chicken and dumplings, lasagna, caramel chocolate cookies, lots of casseroles, etc. What are you most interested in?
i have no words...i am touched. thank you for sharing yourself.
ReplyDeleteI understand exactly what you have written. I was a little older than you when I lost my Dad (I was 20) - but was instantly thrown into a legal battle I shouldn't have been fighting. I lost my right to grieve, and a year of my sons life is blurry (he was 15 months old at the time) while I tried to sort things out.
ReplyDeleteMy heart is with you,
G
xx
Bawling. I am just bawling. This was just the most beautiful post ever. Gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteHey - when you get a chance, wade through the Lego's on the floor, push the spilled Cheerio's from the desk and check out my blog. I have something for you!
ReplyDeleteSpeechless. I'm so glad you're out here in the bloggy world.
ReplyDeleteThat was just about the most perfect post I've ever read. And, you prove once again that there are always silver linings.
ReplyDeleteWow, thanks everyone. Each of you have amazing blogs, so your comments mean more than you know. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteMy heart goes out to you on your story, very touching and heartfelt feelings.One great post.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful way to turn that very painful loss in your life into a blessing! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteGirl I so could have written this post about my dad as well. I lost him and he was not at my wedding and he never knew most of his grandkids. I still miss him a lot.
ReplyDeletewhat an amazing post. so much good that came from something so devastating!
ReplyDeletewell, as you know...i completely puffy heart (blog terminology)you!! now, even more so!!
and, i'm so glad to see a picture of you, even though you are sprouting, what looks to be, an evergreen on the side of your head!
xoxo
WOW - I am at a loss as to what to comment. What a powerful post. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing that terrible loss. A very moving account of a personal tragedy.
ReplyDeleteMy sweet, sweet friend . . .
ReplyDeleteSomeday (I just promised myself) I am going to sit down and read your blog start to finish. I started once in my early blogging days (I thought you needed to do that when you met a new friend) but the sheer volume overwhelmed me and my insomnia passed so I never picked it up again. I have missed out on finding a deeper pool to wade in with you (or just a deeper gutter, as the case may be).
What I really hope? . . .
that we sit on my deck, sip tea (iced if it's hot) and pour our hearts out as friends do. I've never actually seen you, and yet I do believe we are sisters deep down. It just makes sense.
Lovely post. (*sniff, sniff*) I lost my dad the regular way (to his selfish and unfaithful ways in the world) and felt the same fear and pain and longing. I delved into "works" rather than drugs . . . but it's all the same in the end. It led me to God Almighty. Hooray.
I must be off to help my daughter with the dishes (hey, isn't it Mother's Day?), but I'll be back to read those past posts. I owe myself a treat.
: D
XO ~~ Debbie