Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Do Your Dreams Work?

First, can I tell you what I just discovered?
IF you hit return after titling your post, Blogger publishes it. Yes, it does.


Anyway...
Do you have dreams of jobs in your past? YEARS ago, I worked in a fishing business where I was a (very young) Supervisor in a infant company that was spreading like wildfire throughout the world. We made, packaged and shipped fishing lures that were shipped all over the world, our biggest sales-- Japan. High stress, huge demands of our time and energy left a mark on my subconscious. I still dream about working for my highly volatile boss (who I adored when there wasn't an overwhelming deadline causing him to shout profanities). The overall feeling of the dream is whether or not I'll remember what I'm supposed to do after being gone so long.

I was a career student. I LOVED going to college. I dream often that I have forgotten to attend a class for the entire semester. I didn't officially drop the class, so now I will fail. My GPA will be trashed. What an awful feeling.

I did various stints in food service as well. I regularly have those dreams where I have forgotten to take someone something they requested (sour cream for their baked potato, sauce to ruin their steak with), or worse, that I've completely forgotten to wait on them at all. Nightmare. The stress of food service is something EVERYONE should experience at least once in their lives...

Which leads to the point of this post (yes, I do get to a point eventually).

Summer holiday is like being sentenced to life in food service.
"Mom, I'm hungry."
"Again? You just ate 30 minutes ago."
"But I'm hungry."
"Anyone else hungry?"
In unison, distracted zombies (never looking up from their activity) "nooooo"

After said child eats and I'm placing the last dish into the drainer...
"I'm hungry" same voice, new face.
"Why didn't you eat when your brother was hungry?"
"I wasn't hungry then".

A few hours later, after feeding 30 children (it seems), that anxious, sinking feeling overtakes me.
"Did Miss Ky eat today?!"

Feel free to wake me anytime.

20 comments:

  1. hmm, dreams about work...

    i dream often of patients here at the funny farm. my bosses, too.

    time for a vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just hate it when they let you put everything away, take care of the dirty dishes and whatnot, and THEN ask you to fix them something. UGH!! so frustrating.
    I usually dream of my jobs the first week or so that I have one. After that, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, with one child the requests come frequently enough. i can't imagine more....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, so you have that dream about college, too, huh? I remember dreaming that nightmare many times, and then one semester it actually happened. It's a long story, but I stayed registered for one class that I forgot to drop and was going to another that I hadn't officially registered for. I didn't figure it out until half-way through the semester. I remember the bottom dropping out of my stomach when I realized what was going on, but thankfully everything got worked out okay. Yikes, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the never-ending food cycles...I feel like I'm CONSTANTLY feeding someone...Please wake me from this nightmare!!! (oh, school starts in 3 weeks!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I constantly dream that I am going on stage in a play I've never rehearsed and don't know the lines or songs. I stand up there trying to make stuff up. Horrible. I hate that dream.

    My kids are CONSTANTLY hungry. They eat more for one meal than I eat all day. It is nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I only have two kids and I'm telling you the same hijinks happen here. It's insane and there are always dirty dishes! UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What IS it with the perpetually hungry children? Mine never stop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think my life is stuck on the rerun cycle sometimes.

    And I'm discovering the horrors of older children and their never-full bellies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son is 20 and he eats a TON!!! But, silly me -- I LOVE TO COOK A TON!!!! It's my picky, skinny 9-year-old that drives me nuts. I'm a whole-hearted organic cook and she loves to cook right alongside me; ratatouille is her specialty ... but she balks at taking more than a teaspoonful. ARGH!

    As for tests and classes in the nightmare realm -- I'm THERE waaaaaay too often.

    You've had such an interesting array of life experiences. I learn so much each time I pop over for a read. Always a pleasure to plop down into the gutter and gaze up from your viewpoint. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, mine just says "eat?" and points to what she wants.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Usually what I truly dream off doesn't come true, but God gave me more than what I wanted or needed in a very different way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved college, too. Once in a while I feel the urge to take a class . I love learning.

    And dreams about past jobs? Nope, just about the people I worked with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i think that i know what you mean. i only have two boys but my 3 year-old comes up to me constantly throughout the day telling me that he's, "really hungry, mom!" and then, if i don't get up and find something for him to munch on, i'll hear the cupboards open and the riffling begins....that can get interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Last night I dreamt about my tweezer. No kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't dream about previous jobs. Maybe it's because I had very few and the childhood trauma I DO dream about overshadows them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I dream about work (20 years ago) and it's never good. As for the short order cook, I hear ya! Hubby experienced it this summer. He would cook a great dinner only for 30 mins. to go by and a boys say: "I'm hungry. What to eat around here?" LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  18. no job dreams, not that many jobs! but the professional student thing? I still dream that i am looking for a class that I forgot about, all semester. People are turning in their term papers and getting ready for a final exam. There I sit sweatin with a host of butterflies in my stomach. Maybe it's a bad dinner those nights, sounds like a bad case of indigestion.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I laughed through this whole post. Yes yes yes...I dream regularly about my old job that I left 10 years ago after having kids and I dream about missing tests or whole semesters of a college course. I thought I was the only one! Such a funny post.

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my "Blog Parenting" post. Alas, I am not alone in this brand of parenting! I feel so much better. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't dream about jobs past or present much that I recall. Mostly I have dreams about my family and such.
    I do have dreams about college or high school though occasionally. I'm late for class or can't find the right classroom or some such nonsense.

    As for the hungry children, it never ends. I only have two, but they always seem to have friends over and as soon as one bunch gets done, the next bunch wants something. I've been spending a small fortune at the grocery over the summer. I'm looking forward to school starting back up next week! HA! :D

    ReplyDelete

This may be the only adult conversation I have all day, don't leave me now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

scary people can go away now

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape