Thursday, February 26, 2009

While the Big Cat's Away...

The canaries will play.

While Hubby is picking dust particles from his teeth in Iraq, I am doing his dirty work over here...

The Sexy Guy loves his boys and loves his football, so last year he purchased season tickets to the local Championship League, Norwich City Football Club. My guys attend all home games (except on Sunday) and listen to the rest on the radio.

When we found out Hubby was deploying, one of the first things that went through their minds were that those season tickets that would sit idle.

He managed to arrange for a friend and his wife to take them-- which is asking a lot since there are the three boys and Miss Ky (of course we explained she wouldn't be going anymore).

Well, that first saturday without Dad rolled around and I had heard nothing from this couple. The Hubby kept emailing to see if the kids had been contacted. Nothing.

I texted the wife.

"Oh, there must have been a miscommunication. We didn't even know Sexy Guy had left".
"But he TALKED to you guys about it the day before he left!" Her husband had already left for the game.
My kids were dressed, sitting and waiting for a ride that wasn't coming. That saturday or any following saturdays.

Last week I decided to take matters into my own hands.

I stepped WAY out of my comfort zone: I called someone to take Miss Ky. I drove into a city I'm not comfortable driving in, during a busy traffic time, to end up somewhere I've never been. All in my hubby's British spec. car that I'm less than happy driving.

I escorted my deliriously happy boys into the football stadium and plopped down into my seat. Other than feeling like my knees were precariously close to my chin (surely I'm not the only long-legged person on this island), it was kind of exciting. I took pictures. I geared up for the great shots. My kids cheered.

Only one problem.

No one told me you're not allowed to take pictures...
so the security people did. During the game. With a personal visit. I blush easily.

At least they didn't confiscate my card.


These shots weren't my technical best, but I caught an exciting moment.
Norwich was 1-0 and the excited spectators were chanting their praises and support.

Burnley was pressuring their way down the pitch--

David Marshall (Canary Goal Keeper) stopped a spectacular shot,

but spilled it.



Only seconds after the first photo... the crowd shouted in surprised disappointment.

The game ended in a draw. That's a bad thing when you're close to being relegated.

I get it now. This father-son bonding thing.

I get how four people could stare straight ahead and make grunting noises rather than communicate verbally with one another and feel closer for having done so.

The Hubby has asked me if I want him to add another ticket to next year's pass.

I don't think so.

I'm going to drop back into the role of the one who catches their rush of adjectives as they spill into the house, tummies hungry and eyes shining.
That's my comfort zone.


PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek

41 comments:

  1. Aww. But what a good mommy you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're a great mommy!! british sports events are not for the fainthearted!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now if it were baseball...I'd be right there with them...that's MY comfort zone...but football? Neither your version or ours trips my trigger!
    Great post!
    Sandi
    ps
    dump the so called friends is my advice, too!]

    ReplyDelete
  4. you go girl! um, yeah. :)
    how fun for you (and the boys) and bummer on the friend that dropped the ball on your boys---literally this time, eh?
    i'm not one for games either, and you REALLY stepped out of your comfort zone for your boys. what a mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love football! I used to take K to watch Northampton, it is there that I met my Alan. What you need to do is let all your inhibitions go and shout, stamp, cheer and groan with the rest of them. I did and still do now even when listening to it on the radio!

    I am with Sandi, drop the friends, they are not worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would want to pass on that too! So great that you did it for your boys though. Good job mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great story! Except for the friend that didn't show up! That will be a great memory for your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great pictures I remember going to see sheffield wednesday once

    ReplyDelete
  9. Next, how about you come with us to a game of Aussie Rules football?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sure the boys were ecstatic that you took them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get it too...and am totally cool with my role as the one who stays with Evie. :)

    Great pictures...you rebel you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. the number of places you CAN'T take pictures now. it's been ruined for us photo-mad folks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool on you for trying. (I just made that up. Does it show? I'm trying on cool talk.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So--its killing me--why on EARTH can't you take pictures at the soccer game--whoops--football game??!! And how on EARTH do they regulate that rule with ALL those people?!
    Your luck doesn't run real well over there--across the pond, does it? I'm sorry for loser friends. And if I was was there I would have gladly sacrificed all to take your boys to the game or spend the afternoon with Miss Ky.
    Way to play the MOTHER OF THE YEAR card!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The big sexy guy and the little boys would probably love to have mom go along, that's why crockpots were invented. you could be a soccer mom.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those people can bite me. And how awesome are you?????

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with you. I'd rather hang out at home and ask "how was the game?" at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Way to take one for the team! I am proud of you.

    You can't take pictures? What the...

    They have more cameras in London than anywhere else in the world -- I guess as long as they belong to the government...

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a SHITTY mate that guy turned out to be, why did he agree and get your kids hopes all up, if he had no intentions of taking them anywhere? I can just picture the let down you must have felt. And cudos to you for pushing yourself waaay beyond your comfort zone. I know the panic of getting lost/driving vehicles I mistrust, and shoving myself clueless into alien situations (hubby being away more often than not, when you have four kids, your choices are limited).

    I think you are a WONDERFUL mum - more importantly, I guess your kids do, too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. How cool - what a fun time - I like the pictures. I'd love to see a game like that some day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome job mom. I bet the boys loved it.

    I wonder what the security would have done had you snapped a picture of them. What a silly rule.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are such a caring mother! Your kids will remember you taking them long after your husband is back.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a shame the other guy dropped the ball!
    Glad security didn't take your camera, you got some nice shots.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Way to go, taking the boys to the game! Good capturing the shots.... sucks that you aren't allowed to take photos.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Not abiding by the rules huh? My kinda woman!! giggling.

    What a good Mom you are! Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, the shots you did get off are fun to look at. Plus, I think you'd be a good contender for the Mother of the Year award. Silly rule. If anything, you'd think they'd want more pictures taken so more people could know about the team and the sport through people's blogs like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dude, you are such a cool Mom. That honestly, to me, looks like such a fun time. And security BETTER not touch your equipment - camera or otherwise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are such a good mommy!!! You're boys think you're da bomb!! I'm sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi, this is the bummer friend, shame that you didnt let us know he had gone and that you DIDNT reply to my text asking whether the boys wanted to go to the Tuesday game.
    Shame you had to put this on your blog and not speak directly to a FRIEND who has offered you help since sexy guy has been gone, but you don't reply!
    Frindship works 2 ways!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I do not understand why they wouldn't let you take pictures but I do understand that your kids will always remember the day you stepped outside of your comfort zone for them. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, you ROCK as a mommy! Good for you!!!!! seriously, you have mom of the year in the bag! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I did the same thing at an NBA game. What a great day with your boys.

    ReplyDelete
  33. YOU give me something to aspire to!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I have done this too...at the Musee D'orsee (sp?) in Paris. Quite embarrassing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Good for you for taking matters into your hands! I'm sure it's an event your boys will never forget!

    ReplyDelete
  36. hmmm... why aren't you allowed to take photos? Weird. Anyway, these aren't you 'technically best'???
    They looked great to me!
    Can't wait to see your best!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Friends like that are more than slightly annoying. Good for you for taking matters into your own hands and stepping out of your comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I feel special to see those top secret pictures! One great thing about watchign sports is getting to watching all those cuties on the field ;)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm so sorry they bailed on you.

    But you are so awesome! What a trooper you are sticking it out and taking everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I bet they will remember you taking them years from now. Three cheers for you being such a trooper and such a wonderful Mom. Hip hip hurray! Hip hip hurray! Hip hip hurray!! :D

    ReplyDelete

This may be the only adult conversation I have all day, don't leave me now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

scary people can go away now

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape