Thursday, August 20, 2009

I'm Not a Doctor But...

Ok, I did the doctor appointment.

It wasn't quite as relaxing as we had all hoped-- in fact, I thought I might have a heart attack just trying to get there.
Oh, and Monday's appointment was cancelled because it was the ONLY time my hairdresser could get me in for a cut before my trip
Self:"Hmm, do I see the doctor about increasing dizzy spells or get my hair cut?"
Reasoning Self: "Well you could, but say he fixes dizzy spells and you go to Disney World with bad hair... Get the hair cut and that way, when you faint, at least you'll look good".
Me: "Yes, Monday sounds fine, I'll take that hair appointment, thank you".

So, luckily, the doctor had a different appointment for Thursday. Today. Still had four kids in tow. But first had to pick one of them up from his stay at a sleepover.
From there, the SatNav had this crazy idea to take me to the military base via London which was NOT in the same direction so I ignored her and went back towards my house.

20 minutes into the drive, I came upon a roundabout and MY EXIT was closed.

Something you should know about England's road works. There's "Diversion" signs, but after they divert you off a road, they don't really care what happens to you.

Once I was bouncing along this little dirt road I had the option of going up on two wheels to get past an oncoming car or make everyone behind me back up. The guy behind me backed up but then did this crazy thing of pulling to the opposite side to get in a little pull-out area. Now the oncoming car could go nowhere and I couldn't get past her.

Finally, I got back in the direction I should be going, never ONCE seeing any other directional signs for the diversion.

I reached my appointment exactly on time. Whew!
But I forgot my ID in the car.

The hubby came and took the four kids.

The doctor took me seriously and sent me off to have a few pints of blood removed.

Only,

my body doesn't give up blood to just anybody who wants to poke needles in me.
I tried to tell them, but they never listen.
You'd think they'd get it that I have birthed 5 children, I've had a little blood work done in my lifetime.
But they wouldn't listen and were determined to use my right arm.

Finally, Obnoxious Lab Dude gave up and called in Lab Chick.
Failed. Several times. Left arm or right arm, the body was closed up tight.
At least she was nice.

I watched a baby have blood drawn, also a woman pregnant with twins, a woman wearing an Angels and Airwaves shirt so I talked Blink with her (she didn't want to talk either, wanted to keep her eyes closed and forget where she was) and a five year-old boy who was having NOTHING to do with a needle. All came in after me and all said good bye when they left.

Lab Chick called in new Nice Lab Dude who offered to do the draw if we were forced to go into the hand.
Then Super Lab Chick came. She had an accent I couldn't understand, but eventually I realized she was asking if I had had "Sgt. So and So" try to poke me yet as she gave up after a few tries.

I look like a pin cushion.

I didn't read any magazines and still don't know any more than I did when I went in.

Other than my blood pressure was normal--which is actually high for me--and a heart rate of 200 (yeah, that was messed up), I am a healthy (hopefully menopausal) woman.

Oh, they took blood for a pregnancy test too...


that might have affected the pulse rate, but not mine. The Hubby, who had "the" surgery almost 3 years ago, looked a little green around the gills when I told him about that test.

21 comments:

  1. As much blood work I have to get on a regular basis, I'm lucky to have nice drainable veins. But, I can sympathize.

    Pregnancy test? Bwahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, when you find out what's going on with you let me know. I'll just go on your diagnosis for me. I've been having serious spells that last few months. Pretty much the same woman to woman, right? That way I can keep my blood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do the lab dudes think they know more than the owner of the veins being poked? I have a good arm and a bad arm and they always want to do the bad arm first! I left the hospital after giving birth to Libby looking like a heroin addict!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to not laugh as I read this because it isn't funny being stuck with needles in all the wrong places but...and I do remember one time when the doc suggested I could be pregnant and at the age of 48, that was not what I wanted to hear - and my husband did turn very pale and almost passed out. Hope your dizzy spells disappear soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously? OMG. How bad are the dizzy spells? I take it you've thought of everything it could be that might be?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my stinkin' GAH. Do I need to come there? Feel better baby. I want you to have a nice vacation;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to have dizzy spells like that right before I found out I was hypoglycemic, or opposite of diabetic; my blood sugar goes too low. Poor poopy me, now I keep a candy bar in my purse at all times and justify my soda addiction. :)

    Not sure how the UK/ base does medical treatment, but over here I won't let Anyone stick me more than twice - they've got to go get someone that Can.

    I hope you feel better soon!

    Prayers & Blessings,
    C~

    ReplyDelete
  8. oy to the pregnancy test!!
    my body doesn't like giving up blood either. it's horrible. and yes, i totally get the pin cushion thing. because i become a human pin cushion.
    ick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blood work is NOT fun when they can't find a vein! Usually I am what they call and "easy stick" but I have had my times where my experience pretty much mirrors yours. Yuck!

    I hope they find out what is going on with the dizzy spells. Hubby had some a while back and they did all kinds of tests and didn't find anything wrong. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about the vein trouble. Nothing worse than sitting there watching everyone else get done, while they're still poking and prodding you.

    Hope you have a marvy time at Disney!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you can ask for the "best stick" after 2 sticks. If people can't get it after all of that they need to quit poking you. so I am nurse and I have to know who got it and where?

    I LISTEN to people who tell me they are tough. If I don't think I can get it I pass and don't even try. Whaddaya think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, I hope you are feeling better for your trip. Disney, Miss Ky will LOVE it! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how I hate having blood work done. They have such a time getting it in the right spot sometimes. OUCH! Hope they figure out how to make you feel better soon.

    I also hope the haircut turned out the way you wanted it. :)

    Have a great time on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Horrible phlebotomists are the worst. Hope they figure it out and that your hair looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bad news... the Department of Transportation does the same detour madness in the U.S. Don't want to freak you out before your trip, but after reading about your blood draw incident, I think you can handle it.

    Great funny post. Loved it! Very deserving of the POTD nomination on David McMahon's blog. Congratulations and have a great trip.

    PS: Your hair looks marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your logic about, at least if you faint, you'll look good with your hair cut! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on the Post of the Day Award! I hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  18. lol. but at least the hair looked good when you got done with the craziness of the roads and being a pin cushion? congrats on the POTD!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Enjoyed this post but I feel for you with the arm like a pincushion. Congratulations on being chosen for POTD.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on POTD!
    I found in my 3 pregnancies that blood tests were the worst part.
    Enjoy Disney!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another bloody post!!!!!
    How were the results on that pregnancy test anyway??? You know those little remedies have a like 1 in 10,000 chance of failure right?

    ReplyDelete

This may be the only adult conversation I have all day, don't leave me now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

scary people can go away now

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape