Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Back to Where We Began

Like the menstrual cycle that comes bearing mood swings and disjointed thoughts, how appropos that this blog has become a once-monthly gift of sorts...

I've been a little busy. Oh yes, traveling, entertaining, traveling (yes, more), but mostly...

ugh. See the previous post if you really want to know what I've been up to. To encourage more frequent posting, I could rename this blog to:

"We'll be Back if We Ever Get Containment On The Flipping Lice"

or

"How to Wash Everything You Own Every Other Week"

or

"Don't Try Leaving Town, The Lice Will Only Wait For You"


I know, amazing. I have actually hit bottom with these blood suckers. I don't understand how people around us say, "Oh, yeah, we had them last month, but haven't seen anything since". And they are the ones who don't turn their households inside out.
I've gotten grumpy at the husband and demanded that my children never hug anyone again for the rest of their lives. We get clear heads- no bugs, no eggs, but then some child brings home a little gift (or a thousand) and we start all over again. Another cycle I won't mind seeing the back side of.

Nevermind. I'll look back and laugh one day.

I'm not laughing today though, in fact, I'm a bit meloncholy. After posting this photo on Facecrack,


I found myself stumbling down that slippery memory lane. Six years ago, I moved to England with a very round belly and we began very new lives. Where did the time go? I can't believe how quickly those six years have gone. My squishy, bouncy cherub is an independent (translation: stubborn), dynamic, sometimes silly little girl now. What a character she has become! She is the darling of the family, the ruler of the house. How she has enriched our lives.... sniff.


I started blogging six years ago as well and that too feels like only yesterday.  I wish I could say the blog has grown and developed in content, but I think I'm quite happy for it to have become a public journal rather than a testament to my creativity.

And speaking of creativity....

Nah, let's not, unless you want to compare notes on everything creative to be found on Pinterest but now have no time to do because of being on Pinterest....


What really great thing did you start in 2006?



10 comments:

  1. You've definitely trumped anything I'd have. In 2006 I was knee deep in a 22 year old, married about to have a baby; a 14 year old freshman (yikes!), a 6 year old and a 4 year old. My hubby had just started a new job that we thought was full of promise. Sadly, if I could turn back the clock, I would remake a whole bunch of our decisions.

    I'm happy what you created turned out much, much better.

    Good luck with the creepies. Ewww!!! (I know, I'm helpful that way.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! And good luck with the lice...we never got them. Knocking on some wood right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not know how you manage but I am sure that being able to see the funny side and blog about it helps. And Happy Birthday to Miss Ky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your sweet girl! So sorry to hear the lice keep coming back. Hope they are gone for good very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday to your gorgeous Miss Ky. sigh. Where DOES the time go?
    Wow, 2006.....you know, I can barely remember what I had for breakfast this morning. I surely don't remember what the heck was going on 6 years ago. By the end of that year though, I discovered I was preggers-that's the only thing that comes to mind. Didn't find out there were two in there til the following month though.

    Girl, good luck with the lice. They are SO not fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww. I saw that gorgeous photo on FB and I just CAN'T BELIEVE she is SIX already. And such a beautiful girl. She HAS to be a handful because she is so pretty! This way you KNOW that no boy will ever control her. She has GOT this. ;) Gotta love a strong girl!

    I can't believe that the friggin lice are still attacking y'all. I would have seriously lost my mind at this point. I think I would make all my kids shave their heads. Is that too severe?

    Also, I will not allow myself to go on Pinterest. I think it would be a big black suckhole of my time so I dare not even try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's lovely. We moved back to Canada in late 2006, left the UK and all the lice behind. I miss many things about being an Ex-pat, but not THEM. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is such a cutie!

    Ugh! I can't believe you're still dealing with lice!

    I just noticed the little clock on your blog. I always wonder what time it is when you're posting something on FB. Now I know where to look to find out.

    Six years ago my baby was starting kindergarten. While I love the fun 11 yr old he is, I kinda miss the 5 yr old. And I really miss the cute little toddler he was.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, no--I need to go find the lice entries! I'd never had lice in my home in my LIFE, and then a couple of kids down the street introduced them. I don't blame them, I understand lice aren't a cleanliness thing, but I do wish that someone had said, "Oh, and by the way, the kids have got lice." They knew they had lice--their parents had gone so far as to shave their heads. But no one said anything, so I let the kids sleep over, sharing pillows and blankets and sitting shoulder to shoulder on the sofa for hours. And hours. And when my boy's head started itching all the time, I thought it was his shampoo. And when I found a bug in his hair, I thought he'd just picked up an insect while outside. It took me weeks to clue in! What have you tried? No, I'll just go read! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's hoping you've got the little buggers contained by now. Back when we still had our lake house, we had friends who would come down & stay w/ us when they went to pick their older daughter up from camp. One year, their daughter brought head lice w/ her her, unbeknownst to any of us. They stayed for several days (with the kids all occupying 2 of the bedrooms). After they left, another week went by then we went home, closing the lake house up until Labor Day.

    Once we got home, I began to notice the head lice, mainly from the the kids scratching constantly & complaining their heads itched. I knew they'd been exposed by only one kid & that was the camper. So, I called the Mom & asked her if the daughter had come home w/ head lice & she said yes. I then asked her why she didn't call me at the lake to tell me & she said she didn't think my kids had gotten them, so she didn't bother to call. Grrr...

    Long story short... It took me months to really get rid of the nasty little pests, on the kids' heads as well as everything else in the house. THEN, I had to drive down to the lake house (5 hrs there & 5 hrs back), stripping & washing double beds. One of the times I've been most angry at another parent for being just plain stupid. Needless to say, she & I didn't remain friends. Luckily, she & her hubby divorced not long after that & we're still friends w/ him & his new wife....

    ReplyDelete

This may be the only adult conversation I have all day, don't leave me now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

scary people can go away now

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape