Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Short Story About a Boy

He was one of those kids that could entertain himself for hours. He loved it if a friend would join him as he built dirt roads for matchbox cars, but he was equally happy if he was alone inspecting insects through a magnifying glass. He never fought, was never aggressive and would shy away from the kids that were.

Music lived in that little 13 year-old body. Songs composed themselves in his head and sometimes he took the time to transfer one or two of them to his Dad's computer. His parents thought he was a musical prodigy. His teachers thought he was disrespectful and lacked motivation.

One day his parents chose to take a risk. They had heard of a music director in another school who molded musicians out of little boys who didn't fit in. They dutifully climbed the paper mountain required to have their child enrolled in the school and were rewarded by a child who blossomed! They watched the self esteem joyfully explode from this little boy who had always been so different.
Science and English teachers sang and started planting their own dreams and visions into him. Kids like him,
liked him.

On a blistering hot day, the boy sat with his lunchtime friends passing the lunchtime boredom with a thumb tack. One friend discovered that if the thumbtack rubbed against the ground, it became very hot. The boy was intrigued. He stuck the tack into his shoe and scuffed his foot back and forth on the sidewalk. He touched his arm, "Ow!"
"Ow" for little boys translates into "Cool, let's do it again!" so he did.
Another boy said, "Do me! Do me!" So the boy heated the tack and touched his arm.
"Ow!"

A couple of hours later, that boy's mother was called to the school.

That boy's mother was me.

Picture a heavily pregnant woman towing two cranky toddlers into the middle school when they should have been napping.
Entering the Principal's office where a uniformed officer stood next to my boy, I shot my son a "you-are-in-so-much-trouble" look.
I could not believe my son had done something so idiotic. I envisioned giving him the telling off of his life.

I didn't know that something that began as a bunch of kids experimenting with a tack would forever change my boy's life.

The nurse had called in the police. Not only was Son #1 was expelled from the school (they revoked his out-of-catchment waiver), but charges were also brought against him ( Aggravated Battery-- his weapon was a thumbtack) and we had to go to juvenile court.

Despite the juvenile judge admitting to us that she was appalled that this had ever made it to her court, she felt that it would be in bad form to just let it go and that it "might send out the wrong message if there wasn't a punishment".

Son #1 (and I, a parent had to attend as well) served 6 weeks in a First Offender's Class where among other things, he was taught safe sex and how to properly use a condom with anatomically correct models.
The crowning glory of the class was to enter a prison and see how the "other bad people" lived. My son and an 11 year-old child who had put a tack on a substitute teacher's chair were in a class with a kid who had knifed someone, kids who had been busted with drugs, a boy who had vandalized a super store, some fighters and some computer thieves.

Our security as a family went completely topsy turvy. Desperate to see the light in my oldest's eyes again, I became obsessed with buying a house that would put us into that school's district. We lived in constant fear that the parents of the other child would see us as their golden egg. They had whispered to a mutual friend that they were considering suing us.




We did manage to buy a home in that school's catchment, but things were never the same. The self esteem had been shattered. J1 convinced himself that he wasn't wanted there, so he stopped trying. The music director that had once lit up when speaking about the possibilities of J's musical abilities now had no patience with the sullen underachiever.

This was almost a decade ago. My son paid his price. Apparently he will continue to pay it. The Air Force Recruiter has informed him that a "Battery" charge on his record, regardless the circumstances or that he was a juvenile, will keep him out of the service.

The kid can not get a break.

My husband once hit a kid in the head with a rock. I packed a girl's coat with snow (while she was wearing it-- for the life of me I can't think of why I thought it was so funny at the time) and that was only the beginning of stupid things we would do in our lives.
Has the world changed that much? Are kids going to be punished for every bad choice, every childish act?

Did you ever do something stupid in your childhood that today might cost you your future?

30 comments:

  1. When I was little there was a girl in our neighborhood who used to wait for us as we got off the bus together then hit and kick us as we walked home. One weekend she and her family went away. The other girl and I turned on the outside water spicket at her house. It ran all weekend.

    We got in a lot of trouble, as I guess we should have, but the other little girl, the one who beat us up, never did.

    I can imagine the charges we could be brought up on today.

    I'm so, so sorry for your boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the worst thing that could have happened to your boy. There needs to be more common sense applied in our world, but I think it has died and been buried. I also can't understand why the Air Force didn't pickup on his intelligence and sign him up.

    When I was a girl, my sister and I stole a package of gum from the store. My dad made us go back and tell the manager. He let us off with a lecture, all the while wondering why my dad had gone to the trouble. Today, we would have a 'record'. Sigh! :(

    I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was always the good one. But I am appalled at what your son has had to endure. Especially with what children get away with these days. Appalled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J, I am so, so sorry. How horrid. I can't believe that this happened in the first place, the record. It's so sad that boys can't be boys anymore. And that yours can't live that dream. Does he have another dream, though? One that this will free him up to live?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since school shootings started (mid-90s, I think) schools have lost their minds, with their only focus on 'zero tolerance'. Kids are now subject to arrest for things that would have had a consequence of a paddling and detention in times past.

    I thought juvenile records were sealed to protect a young adult from prejudice against stupid acts when they were young, and well, stupid.

    I guess that means my son won't get in the AF either - though he'd never pass the mental health exam.

    I think we've all done something stupid in our childhood, but were just lucky to escape the damage.

    Sorry that your son didn't have the same luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that does seem incredibly disproportionate.

    Surely there should be some ability to look at things on a case by case basis?

    I'm at a loss for what to say - apart from 'I'm on your side'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm stunned that such an event would be taken any more seriously than a firm "what were you thinking?" and that it has followed him to such ridiculous lengths. I'm so sorry for how this has affected him. We've all done things that weren't well thought out. He was a child. Geesh. I'm so sorry about this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sentiments are in agreement with the others. I am appalled at how far reaching this has gotten. To cause a child to lose his dreams and his freedom to create is totally abusive. And so wrong. I am so sorry that this has happened and I wish I had a magic pill to make it all go away. I do believe in the power of prayer and I will pray for a good outcome for all of this.
    Hugging you
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  9. my family made our own fireworks, for fun, in the garage. we blew stuff up. a lot. today, i'd be the only 8 year old in gitmo and my dad would be in jail for endangering the welfair of a child, or some such thing. people have lost their ever-lovin' minds.

    is there some kind of appeal? can you get it expunged from his record? how does he feel about the british air force?

    i'm SO sorry that y'all are going through this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This story was truly heartbreaking for me. I feel so bad for your/his plight.

    One thumbtack?! I have had kids in my FIRST GRADE class do a lot worse than that! It's not right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry. What kind of a world do we live in today? The injustice of that entire story is just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just so crazy and ridiculous. I'm so sorry. I hope that something better comes along instead and that life will take another turn upwards for him soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a sad world when boys can't be boys.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a shame that something that should have been handled at the school level, escalated into something so obviously asinine. I'm sorry this childhood act was blown up into a criminal offense.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This literally makes my heart sick for your sweet boy ... I'm so sorry this happened to you and to him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ugh! This is terrible. So sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seriously, that is a bunch of #@$@!. I cannot believe someone thought the police needed to be called.
    Yes,I have done many of a thing that could have possibly ruined my life.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this story is heartbreaking.

    is there no way to get the record expunged?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely RIDICULOUS!!! Wrong, wrong, wrong! Isn't childhood all about a time to learn life lessons? Why are we expecting children to already know everything before they can even learn? Consequences? Yes. Appropriate consequences, that fit the crime. NOT consequences that even hardened criminals don't even face!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just read this and I am shocked. It is just so incredibly ridiculous!!! I am fairly certain that in Canada your juvenile record cannot affect your adult life except under really horrendous circumstances. I think it is beyond pathetic that something so minor could be used against your kid. That is just beyond ridiculous. You should so write letter to that school, that judge, those other parents etc. and TELL THEM what they have done!!! Write to you government leaders, write to newspapers, write to Oprah, seriously... go higher up. A few well placed emails to newspapers and news stations and a senator or two might make a difference. Worth a shot anyway. Because how many other kids are going to go through the same idiocy??

    My husband shoved his little brother head-first into a garbage can and the brother needed stitches... but my hubs is still allowed to be a minister... because KIDS DO STUPID THINGS. All the time. I bet they aren't keeping all the men who had sex when they were 13 out of the forces. How about the guys who fought like crazy? or the ones who screamed obscenities at their mothers?
    Seems like an awfully unfair system to me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What to say?? ....I couldn't believe it when I was reading your tale, that is so bloody ridiculous and such an injustice, and so very sad that such a trivial boys' jape was propelled into a different league!!! If it wasn't so sad it would be almost laughable.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh this just really pisses me off. It seems as though no one has any common sense anymore.
    You take a good kid that did something crazy and make him feel like he is a bad person. It is horrible.
    Please tell your son that EVERYTHING happens for a reason. I know that sounds trite and stupid, but I truly believe it. Perhaps he is not getting into the service because his path is supposed to go in a different direction.

    I did so many stupid things as a kid. My hubby was horrid. He got in SO MANY fights in college. If any kid did half of the things now that my hubby did back then they would be sued and more. Egad.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is horrendous, the punishment being so out of proportion to the 'crime'. I am in agreement with
    Tarasview, write to EVERYONE! This is just....well it is leaving me with mouth open like a golfish gasping for air. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My best friend tells me that I threatened her with a big laundry pin...if she didn't play what I wanted to play.......
    I am so sorry about your son, seems that a juvenile record would be sealed......could a lawyer help?
    I hope that he perseveres and succeeds, in spite of it.
    Congrats on POTW.......

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh for goodness sake! Your poor son, for starters! I'm sure I did something equally stupid, although nothing is springing readily to mind, but that's the realm of being a kid. We screw up, we learn from our mistakes, we go forward knowing that we have a heck of a lot of company in that very human of things; learning as we go.

    Is there no way to have his record expunged? Usually juvenile records are sealed, and for good reason as many juvenile "offenses" are simply mistakes made while growing up.

    I'm sorry the Air Force has reacted in such a bizarre fashion. What makes it particularly mind-boggling is that I personally know someone whose son wanted to join the Navy. Sometime between his high school graduation, and his introduction into the Navy, he made the very serious mistake of becoming involved with Meth. He rapidly developed a rather terrifying problem.

    BUT...the Navy, upon discovering this, put him into a rehab program they had in place for new recruits. That was three years ago, and my friend's son is now in the Navy, fully trained, clean and sober. All because when faced with a problem the Navy quite simply dealt with it.

    I find it so deeply shocking that shenanigans with a tack bar your son from serving when the young man I know was accepted, and helped with a drug addiction. Don't mistake me, I'm so very glad MJ's son was helped, and I believe the Navy did the right thing in that instance.

    I'm just flabbergasted that the Air Force is being so unreasonable about the specifics of the case. Is there no way to appeal? Can't a congressman or other official be pressed into looking into the matter, and lending a hand? It's just an outrageous exclusion.

    I'm sorry your son, and your family has gone through this. I wouldn't let it drop, if it is important to him. All will eventually work out for the best, perhaps going to university is a better bet for him, or learning a trade. But it is absurd that something he did at thirteen, something so minor no less, is being used against him.

    I'm sure he will find a good place in life but truly, what an outrageous situation. Zero tolerance, while a good idea in theory, has really become a weapon all on its own.

    I wish you luck with this. I'm so deeply shocked, but really encourage you to pursue as many avenues as you must to get this stopped. His record should be sealed.

    I've personally known someone else who had a dreadful childhood, and felony convictions as a teen (boosting cars, but also trashing a recreation center) ...and his record was sealed. He went on to a successful life.

    Heck, my own husband had to go to court at fourteen for stealing things from cars. It was not indicative of some major character flaw, by the way, and he too never had that haunt him as an adult.

    If all else fails, ask him how he feels about the Navy because apparently, they've got more sense and reason than the Air Force is displaying in this particular instance.

    I'm so distressed for you. You must be so very heart-sore over this. I'm so very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Over from Hilary's to say congrats on the POTW mention!

    I am sorry for your son ....

    ReplyDelete
  27. Whoa! Our tax dollars at work- for what?!?!? The school administrators should take a 6 week course in "reality checks and other really stupid things that aren't worth wrecking kids lives". This is crazy.

    My heart aches for your son and family. I am so sorry. I'm sending prayers for fresh start and a great big break for your son.

    I found you via Hilary's POTW. I'll be back again soon,
    jj

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cripes - what a tale.

    The juvenile judge was appalled that this had made it to court but she...

    ...decided that it might come back to bite her in the arse somehow if she did not compound the stupidity.


    C.S. Lewis was right to depict hell as a bureaucracy. My prayers and best wishes for you and your son.

    (Belated) congratulations on the potw.

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW - and what the hell?? This is incredibly sad! Write away - try to get it overturned!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It seems like everything is just taken to far these days, even if the kids have never been in trouble before. This *no tolerance* policy the schools have adopted is ridiculous! I think I liked the *3 strikes your out* policy better.

    And teachers have the power to make or break your child. Sadly, there are a lot of teachers out there who wield this power carelessly. Our son had his dreams squashed by several teachers as well. He has never been the same. He was a good kid & they just beat him down & let him slip through the cracks.

    I'm so sorry this happened to your son. Just know that you weren't & aren't alone.

    ReplyDelete

This may be the only adult conversation I have all day, don't leave me now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

scary people can go away now

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape