When I tell you that I don't understand, will you think I am being sarcastic?
I once received the most glorious little package in the mail from a friend who had moved away. It was homemade toffee. I had never been a huge fan of toffee, since quite frankly, I like to hold onto the few teeth I have. But this toffee was different. It snapped when you bit it. It was covered with delicious dark chocolate and adorned in roasted chopped pecans. Heavenly. If I had allowed my husband to have any, he may have agreed with me.
So, I sent a letter asking for the recipe.
There! YOU! Yes, YOU who gasped when I said that. You are specifically who I am writing to today, because this really escapes my understanding.
My friend never responded.
Ok, to say we were "friends" may be stretching it a bit, we were more like people who respectfully enjoyed each other's company because we were in the same home business together. So it wasn't like my BFF just didn't write back.
I don't take hints well, so one day when she called, I again oozed compliments and gratitude for her candy-making abilities and asked her if she'd share the recipe.
There was a slight, deadly silent pause and then she informed me that the person that had given her the recipe had SWORN her to secrecy. I was picturing a dark little corner where our exchange was taking place and her telling me, "If I gave you that information, I'd have to kill you".
I respectfully dropped my inquest, but had to wonder...
Um, it's a recipe. Not her bank account. And she, like my "friend", had moved away from our state.
I don't get it.
I used to joke about my mother's oatmeal cake and how I "would never share the recipe, so don't ask" but did and even allowed it to be put in a church book.
I have sat among the bubble blowers and errant birthday balloons telling other mothers, "Oh these? They're from a box".
You gasped again, I heard you.
Someone even pulled me aside and told me, "You're not supposed to admit it's from a box."
Why is that?
Who cares?
I make some mean food, as our scales can attest to, but quite frequently, I pour Betty Crocker into my cupcake liners. And unless you're running a catering business with a speciality you don't want stolen, why do you care that I make your dish for my family? I would think of it as a compliment.
Don't you know, that every time I make the Pecan Cream Cheese cracker dip I think of the woman that gave me the recipe? Years later and thousands of miles between us, it's like she attends every party where I serve it. My friend Max's porcupine casserole? I remember the time he had daringly had our entire clan over for dinner when he discovered he had left out the egg and so the meatballs were only ground beef with rice in a tomato sauce. I love Max.
My grandmother's coconut cake (with real coconut milk), sits her down at my table with me for every bite.
So lighten up.
Share. It's not just your recipe, it's a little of you.
And now, every Christmas when I make MY special toffee, I think of the attempts to thwart my culinary progress and wish I had her address to say, "Na na nana na! I figured it out!"
Oooh, success is sweet!
Na-na-na-nah! I love it! It all sounds so good though, the toffee, the cakes...I have a big sweet tooth.
ReplyDeleteFunny post!!! I'm not great in the kitchen and I have to work from recipes. You're right, a recipe, and in particularly where you got it/ who you got it from, can be a very potent reminder of life's precious moments.
ReplyDeleteEvery time I make a lemon sponge cake, tuna casserole or pork chops with rice, it reminds us of my MIL who passed away too soon from Alzheimers when my son was just 7 months old. These foods take my husband back to when he was a child. Her love lives on in her recipes.
Oh I can relate! This was hilarious! And of course made me a wee bit hungry!
ReplyDeleteI thought only Italians did this! My neighbors family spaghetti sauce recipe is only handed down after the wedding...seriously. And will be made for others but not given. It's stupid. Just share already. And, what's wrong with from a box? Geez Louise!
ReplyDeletemmmmm... toffee...
ReplyDeleteI'll take that recipe :)
I don't like to share my cheesecake recipe/secrets. BTW, I love your toffee.
ReplyDeleteI just found your blog through top momma. What a funny post, I can relate! Everyone raves about my brownies...made from a box mix, with some chocolate chips thrown in, and frosted with...gasp...canned frosting!!! Who cares where it comes from as long as it tastes good!!
ReplyDeleteI'm a box woman myself, short of a special occasion. Even then ... my MIL has kept her Polish holiday recipes to herself, but I've managed to replicate most of them pretty closely by internet research and experimentation. There's almost no recipe which can't be replicated! Bwahahahaha!!!!
ReplyDeleteLoved the post. I tell people all the time it came from a box. Hell, I tell them my hair color is Clairol, so why should I care about my brownies. :-)
ReplyDeleteYou're right about those recipes bringing us closer to those we got the recipe from. Hmmmm. Tofffeeeee!
You know, your friend would really go ape if you happened to POST that toffee recipe (Please). I'd love to try it and it sounds like others would, too. :-) Yeah, I'm mean and terrible. I know it. It's a special part of me. Ha!
Here's the deal.
ReplyDeleteI'll track down her address.
Then will you promise to send her the Na-na-na-na-nah message? !!!!!
I love this post. It's what I think every time I make cornbread dressing and potato salad---my grandmother's recipes--that she's with me still.
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree about the hoarding--it's silly.
That was a great ending! I wish someone would ask me for my recipes! I actually have some.
ReplyDeleteHi there, found you on TopMomma and just wanted to let you know you made me smile :)
ReplyDeleteI heart you even more now - because you're a recipe sharer. I think the world can be divided into two categories. Forget about religious differences, socio-economic differences... let's take it down to the simple nuts and bolts here.
ReplyDeleteThose that SHARE recipes.
And those that DON'T.
And I envision karma to work in a way that those who don't share their recipes end up eating bland food in a nursing home, perhaps blended first and then sucked through a straw. Yeah, that'll teach them.
Wow. I kinda have a mean streak in me, eh? LOL
(I found you at Topmama)
ReplyDeleteHa this was funny!...btw, can I have your cream pecan cheese cracker dip recipe? *s*
Thank you Jody, I hope you'll come back, although I should warn you, I mostly complain a lot.
ReplyDeleteAnd I WILL post both recipes-- although the toffee will have to wait until we're out of the humid mess because you know I can't post something without a photo!
hilarious! btw...you REALLy are NOT suppose to share they are from a box...lol.
ReplyDeletethanks for stopping by my blog and for your comment. i am going to have to add you to my google reader so i can remember to come back, cuz this post made me laugh.
ps i got the tights at the GAP.
Good for you for figuring it out! Bye the way, I love your toast man!
ReplyDeleteI found this so funny, like this recipe was gold or something! I'm not much of a cook, so I guess I don't have the right to judge someone that wants to keep their special recipes to themselves, but ... c'mon!!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for coming by and for the well wishes - So nice to see you. I'll see you soon. Kellan
Oh, man! Now I'm craving your cream cheese dip!! And this is serious, because I am now 8 months pregnant, suffering from severe insomnia, and craving something I don't have.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean, and you stated it so well. Food feeds so many of our senses -- taste, smell, sight, touch, sometimes even sound (crunch, sizzle, snap, crackle, pop), and it seems natural that it would be so closely related to our memories of people and situations. I do feel closer to my mom when I make her Christmas cookies. Baklava reminds me of my Grandma, and I think of Morgan's grandma whenever I make her potato salad. Why can't we all just share the wealth? I don't see how it would diminish anyone's recipe at all to share it. It's like love, the more you give, the more it grows! Yeah, food = love! Okay, enough rambling from a crazy pregnant dip-craving insomniac! I just wanted to tell you I loved the post! :)
I've found over the years that those who whisper "I just can't give you this one--it's a family heirloom" or some other nonsense are covering for the fact that they saw Sandra Lee on Food TV do it with a cake mix, a shot of rum, an extra egg, a jar of pre-made frosting and three tubes of stuff you can buy at the grocery store. They play it up as special to hide that it's not 100% homemade.
ReplyDeleteAnd that's what I don't get.
These days, if you have time to rip open a cake mix, bake it, wait for it to cool and then frost the sucker with pre-made frosting, you're ahead of a game where some people pick up bakery cookies and put them on an old plate that was Grandma's and call it done, so you should be happy that your time and love had help making others happy, instead of shamed that you didn't go harvest soybeans, make shortening, then collect eggs... well, you get the point. The point is as long as you've made someone happy with what you did, you've done good.
P., I actually saw a show once (Dr. Phil?) where people were coming clean after deceiving people for years about their "home cooking" and they were talking it up as if someone had committed incest. Unbelievable. I baked a roast tonight in root beer. It came from a can (the root beer, not the beef) that I didn't make myself :-)
ReplyDeleteThis is a fab post! I must admit that I am sometimes a recipe hoader. It depends on what it is. If it is something I have invented I feel somewhat of a protective nature over it. Very strange, I agree.
ReplyDeleteAnd now I want some chocolate covered toffee, thankyouverymuch!
BTW- I haven't been blogging for the past couple of weekends. Just giving myself a bit of a break. But thanks for asking! :)
lovely post = I would write back then and just ask for more -Please.
ReplyDeletelol
Interesting blog you have here.
I know a little about Norfolk, as Ive got relations from Brandon, nr Thetford, who used to work at Lakenheath Airfield.
Thanks for visiting by blog and your kind comments.