Saturday, July 26, 2008

Suspicious Minds

It's when some "kind" friend tells you that "someone" has been talking about you...
and you look at everyone differently and wonder: "Is it her?" (by the way, hurting someone out of kindess is not kind at all)


We had an experience in our church once. I was in a youth leadership position with several really lovely ladies. Women who sacrificed time and energy to help direct the path of the young women in our area. Women who put those girls ahead of their own needs.

And one day, there was a letter. Signed by Anonymous (wow, that person really gets around).
It told some pretty hideous tales of one of those women.

We were stunned.
And no matter how hard we tried not to let it affect us, our opinion of that woman was forever altered.

Even so, we all rallied around her. We gave talks and bore testimonies about being kind and forgiving.
Another letter arrived.

The matter became suspicious glances in the hallway. Accusations of who would be so ugly. Several people came to my mind. People whose lives weren't going smoothly and would feel the need to stomp anyone down like that. I looked at certain church members with thoughts of the things they had done in their past, and wondered if they were the ones throwing stones.

After months of distrust, the sick mind that penned those letters was discovered. Some of us had to repent of the thoughts we had had about people who were innocent. The damage was done. The poisoned pen had forever changed the dynamics of that group of women and rippled out through an entire ward.

Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery" had nothing on us.

When the towers were attacked, Americans were told to go on with life as normal. We were told that if we lived in fear, the terrorist won. I wish I could say I was able to put my fears aside, but I didn't.
Very soon after, a person who really never took notice of skin color or nationality before was now highly suspicious of several clusters of men waiting to board the plane my husband was scheduled to take.

I looked at them with distrust. They looked at me.

It's hard to describe a non-verbal interchange, but I knew that these men knew, I was wondering if they could be planning something sinister. They had probably seen my look in a hundred other faces already.
I suddenly felt ashamed.
I smiled, but it was too late. The damage was done.

I will not let anonymous comments damage my trust.
You see, this blog isn't meant for the NY Times, or CNN. It's meant for me. It's my way of getting through each day with all of the good, bad and ugly I may be made up with. This blogging stuff actually saved me from a very dark time, and the fact that so many of you keep coming back always amazes me.
The friendships I've discovered along the way makes the one or two personal attacks worth it. I won't live in fear of a faceless attacker.

So throw stones, Anonymous. Sharpen your quill and write away -- on your own blog. I know who I am and whether or not I'm deserving of your terrorist-like tactics and you will not win.
I don't fear you.

23 comments:

  1. Sometimes it amazes me how people in the church act but, like someone blogged - churches aren't perfect but gather sinners to help them better.

    I am glad that you have strengthened your resolve against people who "throw" stones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT???? Someone has been saying bad things about you?? How is that even possible? You are just the coolest, sweetest person ever? I just don't freaking get it!!! It must be jealousy. Honestly! It just blows my mind. They are lucky they are "anonymous" aka-coward because otherwise I'd kick their a$$!!!

    As far as the "kind" people who seem to LOVE letting us know the bad things people think about us they can suck it. Why would they think that that info is helpful? They are just as bad as the anon people. Grrr.
    Makes me freaking mad.
    Jealous vipers and whores.

    Sorry for my foul mouth. I'm apparently very protective of you. You can delete this post if you must because of the potty mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry that someone is using the infamous "Anonymous Letter" to put you down and try to make you feel bad about yourself. As in many cases, something that can be used for good can be twisted to be used for evil. What I mean is, have you ever gotten a kind letter from Anonymous, and then thought the best of everyone you saw, because maybe they were "the one"? I'm sure you have, because you are just a great person. But just in case, I'm sending this to you anonymously (although you will probably be able to figure out who I am)! Please know that you are loved!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What could someone possibly saying about you? Give me a break, you are a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I must have missed something of late along the way in this blog. (I don't plan to go find it either, because it just doesn't matter to me one bit. I don't like grumpy berries and their masked remarks.)

    I think you're refreshingly honest and hilarious. (Laughing at one's self is a sign of great intelligence, right?) This blogger thingy has its ups and downs. I've detected lots of Jr. High ick-ness as I travel through the blogdom with all the awards and kudos and snarkiness that goes along with it. Go to the ocean and bathe in the mermaid residue (did we ever determine if it really was shampoo? I'm holding onto that theory. So "Anonymous" can have a field day with me if they choose, I'll just twirl and sing and enjoy life anyway.)

    Come over for a cuppa tea and a dose of pink to make you smile. My garden gate's ajar and the kitties are purring.

    Thanks for reminding me that even though the world isn't always cheerful and bright, we can do our part by redecorating our little corner of it. Have a wonderful day. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi jeri ~
    you're awesome. i hate negative gossip. it is cruel. it is my number one pet peeve. sorry you/your ward had to experience that icky situation because of one cruel person.

    blessings, beany

    ReplyDelete
  7. mean people suck.

    I think you're great, but you already know that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry that you've had to learn such hard lessons. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. its really how one person thinks differently from another person...I guess its like 2-sides-to-a-coin thing....

    I truly think you are a wonderful person...not that I know you personally, but from the way you write...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you getting trolled? Oy vey. I'm so sorry, J. They are such pains. I love the reference to The Lottery. And, I hate how doubt ruins things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know how I feel about you, girlfriend. :)

    I sent that package out before I heard back from you, but it came back today. Just as well. I'll use the other address. And have a long talk with someone at the post office. Grr.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry that you've had to deal with the yuckiness that seems to come out occasionally with this blogging thing. I don't really understand why anyone would want to post under Anonymous anyway. Why not just take credit for your remarks, whether good or bad?

    If it means anything to you, I think you're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Atta Girl. Because you know it's just the chicken way of saying something. You know, to write an anonynous poison pen letter.

    It has always been my experience that these people who love to throw anonymous darts at others, are really just terribly sad, weak, pathetic little people and should always be ignored.

    I actually quit going to church when it was discovered that *The Pillars of the Church* were all HAVING AFFAIRS, within the church congregation, of course. All of the years these people had treated me like I was nothing and yet, I wasn't the one screwing around on my husband. I'd finally had enough and I now worship The Lord on the golf course, every Sunday. He knows I'd give my life for Him, so nothing else matters much.

    But you are so right... a card laid is a card plaid. Once you cross over to silently accusing complete strangers in your mind, the damage is done. But, I think we were all like that around 9/11, and I think we had good reason then.

    I often think that most Americans are so uptight about so many things, they feel that they have to cast the doubt on others in order to assure that no one discovers the dirty deeds that they are doing. Sad but oh-so-true.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Geeze. I just left the greates post for you and it evaporated into thin air. So, just know that I did have a beautifully written comment, which I can never remember all of now, lol. Grrr...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was going to say something in my comment on your last post, but I didn't want to give anon any undue attention.
    Blogging isn't always roses and sunshine it usually is a reflection of how we feel. Keep on blogging as you know how. I enjoy all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tara's right...Mean people suck.

    I've never had a troll, but I've found that ignoring them really does make them go away. Especially if you never post their comments! ::)

    Just remember that we like you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi jeri ~ i second that. you rock :) you have the kind of heart that i respect in others. beany :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. my husband, the pastor, has a very strict policy of not reading anonymous letters for the very same reason. he says if someone doesn't have the guts to stand behind what they are saying it doesn't bear listening to.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Words hurt, don't they? I am learning this and, like you, I am learning to rise above. It is not easy...HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really? What in the world? e-mail me. I'm stunned. Waiting for the other shoe to drop at my place, I guess. Hope you're ok. Whatever it was, hopefully it was just an abberation.

    ReplyDelete
  21. In all the stories I read trolls lose. anyone who would say something mean to you is not even worth reading. Poot!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Weirdos everywhere - but by the power of the delete button... they are vanquished.

    Ha ha. Stick with it honey, I'm enjoying your blog. As if an American in Norfolk doesn't have enough to deal with;)

    ReplyDelete

This may be the only adult conversation I have all day, don't leave me now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

scary people can go away now

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape