We don't really count days though, since the Air Force doesn't. They don't care that he got on a plane one day of the week and didn't make it to his destination for many days later. They only care about the guy who will replace him and when he will be capable of stepping into my husband's place-- at this stage, we're too far out to even contemplate that time. It's too far out to plan any holiday or time away together when he returns.
I've only just realized that as we're settling into our new house, we're settling in without him. He doesn't have a stamp on it--in any room. I've completely taken over the bed...
well, me and a wandering toddler have taken over the bed.
The other day his side of the closet was opened for something (maybe his Norwich City football shirt that I pinched) and stood open all day. It was weird seeing all of his clothes and shoes just sitting there. Haunting. But,
I'm slowly bleeding into that space too.
He misses a lot of things being deployed and with this desert holiday he'll miss three birthdays. The one he won't miss (but still will because we live so far away) will be J1's.
Our oldest will turn 21 in August.
Have I told you he is an amazing musician? (The kid, not the Hubby--he CAN play a mean trumpet, but his passions are
I don't think it's just a mother's appreciation either-- the kid can play numerous instruments and he's recorded a full cd (with him playing all of the parts, vocals and doing the mixing).
This mother knows that the vocals are not her son's strongest attribute. However...
He recently sent me 3 new songs and I was floored. Seriously. I sat there in disbelief that this was done entirely by him. The songs were terrific and his brothers and I were singing along after only two cycles through the ipod. They are the kind of songs that you can hear once and like. Hear it the second time and it's stuck in your head and you find yourself humming the chorus in the grocery store.
Last year for J1's birthday, I arranged for one our favourite authors to dedicate a book to him. He was so surprised (and carried the book around to the point that it won't be worth anything to anybody but him and I now). I'm glad he loves it so much. (Bill Bryson-- since the odds are so high that you lurk around my blog on a regular basis, can I just say "thank you" again? You really were very kind).
Now, for this milestone birthday, I want to get these 3 latest songs heard. Just heard. Not signed, bought, lauded by every DJ in radio world or recorded by Blink 182 (well, maybe THAT would be cool--Mark Hoppas are you lurking too?)
Any suggestions?
Any dreams you now wish you had pursued when you were still young and snappy?
Can you believe it's been 116 days?
Surely you have an answer for at least one of these questions.
Below you can hear a snippet of one of the songs (terrible editing by me) SONG COPYRIGHT 2009
Below you can hear a snippet of one of the songs (terrible editing by me) SONG COPYRIGHT 2009
Being a (Retired)Navy Wife I know all about those deployments...went thru more than my share, Beirut during the bombing of the Marine Barracks being the worst of it...your DH will be in our prayers for Servicemen for sure! Enjoy the new spaces (house).
ReplyDeleteYou're right, that kid has a lot of talent! I enjoyed his music and could understand the words!!!
Sandi
sign me up for one of those cds!! his music sounds great! is there a place i can buy one...do they have a myspace?
ReplyDeleteOK....your son ROCKS! All puns intended! I love his sound!! I would love to know where I can get my hands on one of his CD's.
ReplyDeleteWhen I read how long your Hubby has been gone, I feel like a brat for complaining when mine has to travel for a week. Yet....having the whole bed to myself.....claiming the whole house as mine is something I will explore next time he travels for a week or two.
You need to write a book about giving unique and appropriate gifts. I hope you can find a way to have your son's recordings heard (Amy's idea is a good one - he can post his music and promote himself from there or Facebook), and I wish a safe return for your husband.
ReplyDeleteMy post from yesterday was written by a good friend who was recently deployed to Iraq for the second time. I don't know how the soldiers do it. And I don't know how the families do it either.
ReplyDeleteThat song is fabulous! It seriously sounds like something you could listen to on the radio today. Talented indeed!!!
WOW! I love his music! And I love Bill Bryson. And it is NEVER too late to follow your dreams. NEVER.
ReplyDeletecoming back when i can listen, j...i'm at work right now;)
ReplyDeleteyou are an awesome-ly supportive mum. kudos.
and stay strong missing hubby.
that totally sucks ass. nothing anyone says will make that better.
distractions?
anyone catch my "days" discrepancy? Sorry, this post was scheduled for a later posting and I decided to do it early.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the nice comments about the son-- it made me feel really great to know that others liked it too. I'd hate to be like the moms that send terrible singers into American Idol auditions.
Thank you!
It must be such a sacrifice...having hubby away. I seriously do not knwo how you do it.
ReplyDeleteYour son's song is BRILLIANT - love it!
talented fella you got there jeri! glad that he's got something to keep him busy.
ReplyDeletehow *is* he doing anyways?
Oh, I LOVE his songs!! How exciting to see and hear your kid's talent come through like that!
ReplyDeleteAs for being heard, I say sign him up for social media sites and pimp it where you can. Can't hurt.
And no, I can't believe its been that long. It makes me mad that it's that long and its not even me. I'm sorry my friend. You are amazing.
OK, I know you. I like you. That song rocked! Really. Remixed in a professional studio I could see that song going far! Holy wow!
ReplyDeleteLOVE, LOVE, LOVE! The music!!! I would love a CD as well! Would be happy to play that in the studio when I am creating...!
ReplyDeleteBTW, you are in double digits...I have told Pale Rider about you and your serviceman hubby. I told him I want to send you a present, for the two of you...do you enjoy wine? I would love to make some goblets for the two of you, for you to use on a romantic evening as you get reaquainted with one another... Please contact me and let's talk colors, design themes, etc.
This is my gift to you and your hubby for helpong keep me and mine safe in the wonderful U.S. of A.!
Peace and Blessings...
I can't even imagine the hardship of being married to the miliary. Hats off to you and your husband for doing this ... I hope he gets home soon and safely.
ReplyDeleteAnd Bill Bryson is one of my favorite authors of all time! Love him! Are you saying you got him to dedicate a book -- like sign it for him or dedicate an actual book???? That is so cool ... I would love to see Bill Bryson talk someday. His books on the English Language are among my favorites of all time ... and his travel books too.
And I think it is great that your son has such musical interests and talent! I wish I could say the same! All my "talents" are appreciating greatness in others (reading good books). Sigh. It is great that he has this though ... I hope you can make a living at it someday.
And thanks for your visits to my blog recently. I appreciate it!
I love your son's sound! Fabulous!
ReplyDeletethat's so cool. i can't imagine thinking of a song in layers like that.
ReplyDeleteBrilliant work all round. Great genes in your clan.
ReplyDeleteI did enjoy that little musical interlude, thank you - it was great!
ReplyDeleteWow, he's not only handsome, he has shed loads of talent, too! I honestly believe his music could easily reach the top ten listings anywhere - urge him to send his cd's to record companies/producers - what's to lose?
ReplyDeleteAnd big huggles for continuing on with what has to go on - I think both you AND your husband are hero's. x
I think that by posting that little snippet on your site, you have gotten your son's music heard by a LOT of people.
ReplyDeleteI would second (or third or fourth) the idea about myspace or facebook. Many musicians are using those platforms to try to get their music heard with good success.
By the way - really did enjoy the song!
Really catchy song! I'm forwarding the link to Maybelline. She'll probably become a groupie.
ReplyDeleteYes, I caught the days discrepancy. I thought my mind was playing tricks on me.
OMIGOSH - he looks just like you. JUST. I don't know why I'm always so amazed when kids resemble their parents so closely. Maybe it's because mine looks nothing like me.
I know you and the hubby are looking forward to seeing each other again. I've also been reading here long enough to guess that the deployments work well for y'all on some levels. Or that there will be a big adjustment period when he's home permanently. :)
Excellent tuneage!
ReplyDeleteOh honey - my husband hasn't been deployed but he is always, always away so I understand some of the things you are going through. He often misses birthdays, trips to hospital, school events, etc but I can tell him about those things - it's often the little things which I forget to tell him about and which are almost more important - the new words, the smiles, the tears and cuddles...it's very hard doing it on your own!
ReplyDeleteYou're right to be proud of your son - his music is great.
Hugs to you all x
Wonderful post and congrats on POTD! Thank you for the sacrifices you are making. Thank you for sharing a look inside your heart and home. And your son -- so talented. I know you are proud!!
ReplyDeleteOh, what talent,
ReplyDeleteI wish him the very best for the future amd good luck to the whole family!
Congratulations on David's Post of the Day Award! :-)
Wonderful words - I have to wait until I come home from work to listen to the music. Congrats on POTD.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine how difficult it must be for both your husband and you missing out on so much with each other.
ReplyDeleteYour son's music is wonderful. You could post his songs on Youtube and promote them through Facebook or Myspace too. Hope he follows his dream and is successful with it.
Wow!! That sounds fantastic! He's awesome. Hope he's doing better these days.
ReplyDeleteSOrry, I have no answers, or connections for ya'. But I hope you can find someone to hear it, that would be sweet.
#1- GREAT SONG! Great BEAT! What talent your son has!!
ReplyDelete#2 Life without our partner is hard. I guess it makes us appreciate them even more. Doesn't it drive you crazy when you see a woman not treating her man right? Oh, they are lucky to just have them around!!!
#3 Hubby had to start leaving his clothing home, because I too was taking over the space! As for the bathroom- Ha!- he has no drawers anymore. They are filled with my glop of stuff!
#4 HANG IN THERE. Our kids need us and thank God, or else we wouldn't get out of bed in the morning!
Everything you do and have gone with out is nothing short of inspiring. And that song? WOWZA.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the Post of the Day Award from authorblog. This post totally deserves it! Blessings to you and your family.
ReplyDeleteI was totally getting into the song and it stopped:)! Talent he has...want to hear more..
ReplyDeleteHugs....:0)
I'd buy the CD! Loved the snippet! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI think people with musical talent are awesome since my only musical abilities consist of being able to run the iPod and turn on the radio...only that last one is fading...who listens to the regular radio anymore? Wonderful post and I hope you are reunited with your sweetie soon!
ReplyDeleteYour son is REALLY talented! I would buy that cd.
ReplyDeleteI loved the Mango comment about sending you something for a thank you for what you and your hubby are dojng. I could send you Kelly for the summer! :0)
ReplyDeleteLoved the song---I love that he has done all the parts himself.
I hear ya on living without the hubby but I have never had to do it longer than 10 weeks--you are amazing!