Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Stop Calling Me!

No, I don't mean that, don't stop calling me, but understand that if I'm in my car, I won't answer. I will ring you back.
If it's an emergency, ring a few times and I will pull over to call you back.

I have pledged to keep my car a No Phone Zone and I'm asking you to do it too.

Using a headset does NOT make you safe.
Laws will not change anything.

I'm not going to link to statistics, we're all intelligent people. You have to know that you can't do your best possible driving while talking, texting and emailing.

We have to make a change with how we think, with how we do things.
And yes. I do.
I was doing it only a couple of hours before watching the video online and then signing the pledge
.




You may wonder why I even care what you do in your own time.

Over a year ago, I was regularly emailing a woman I had met through my blog. We were friends across every network we both joined and the fact that we had never met in person didn't matter.

I went away on a holiday and when I came back, there was a post on her blog. It was a plea from her daughter for help to find her mom. For a few moments I thought it was a joke to extricate herself from one of her blogs. And then it started to sink in... she was really gone.

They never found Kathleen McBroom and I mourned her like I would mourn any friend I spend time with here. I still check her blog regularly for any news. She's left a huge hole.

So, yes. I care about you. I will miss your comments and your blogs if something happens to you.

As long as we're encouraging each other to live better, can we just make a pledge to live?

I'm pledging to you, to my husband, my kids, my parents and siblings that no phone call is worth someone's life. If you feel the same way, you can click on the No Phone Zone banner above and it will take you to the official pledge site.

13 comments:

  1. I so agree with you. I don't have a cell phone, and wonder why people can't be unplugged for awhile.

    I hope your friend will be found...either dead or alive. Hopefully alive, but so you and the family will have some closure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw those Oprah commercials and can't decide what I think about them.

    In theory, absolutely yes! The message is an important one. Especially for those who don't seem to understand the danger of cellphone use while driving. And then there's texting while driving - quite another dreadfully dangerous thing. It all scares me.

    You would think outlawing cellphone use while driving would be enough to convince people not to do it - but there are still those out there who refuse to buckle up. They are generally the same people who abstain from common sense safety in favor of convenience, and are not the ones most likely to respond to a television campaign.

    The message is good. No doubt about it. But I doubt the pledge will reach its intended audience and I think it just seems like more propaganda for Oprah than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you.

    That's sad about your friend. I'm sorry for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree about the Oprah machine Alix! What convinced me to do this (and to pass it on) was the fact that I found myself in that group convinced they can do it all. I don't ever want to be responsible for killing someone's child because I was messing with my phone.
    Thank you Linda and Hilary, "Beeny" is missed by many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish more States outlawed cell phone/driver use, it makes me furious to see people talking on their phone while driving.

    I have a Google Alert on Beany's name. I occasionally get a hit, but it's never about her. I miss her too and can't believe there has been no leads in her disappearance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry.. I can't imagine just not knowing like that family is going through.

    And you are right, it isn't safe to talk and drive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! I saw the Oprah show, and it convinced me 100%.

    What a sad, sad story about your blog friend. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Frankly, I'm just not important enough to get calls on the cell phone. It almost never rings and when it does ring, I usually don't hear it, lol! I seem to always discover that I've missed a call, so I call them back on the land line when I get home. People who drive around talking on their cells make me totally insane! Frankly, most people can't chew gum & walk at the same time, so what makes them think they can talk & drive? I don't even talk on mine when golfing & it irritates me to no end when someone I'm playing with interrupts our game to take a call from a friend. Grrrr!

    You know, I've often checked her blog too, to see if there has been any development. It makes me sick that she just disappeared without a trace. Her poor family must be going through Hell, not knowing. I will keep them all in my prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so bad about talking on the phone in the car...I will try to do better!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No need to worry about me with the phone thing. I have a cell phone but very rarely use it. I keep it in my purse, but almost never have it turned on. I don't use it in the car unless the car is parked. I mostly just have it in case I need it for an emergency.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They never did find her? I've often wondered, but thought you'd post if there was some development. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was wondering about her the other day. So sad.
    You're so right Jeri, it's so dangerous, and I totally agree that a headset, or bluetooth won't help. You're still distracted.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was wondering about her recently and couldn't remember her name to google anything. Thanks for the update, though it's not a good one.

    People think they are invincible and what applies to everyone else does not apply to them. Crazy.

    ReplyDelete

This may be the only adult conversation I have all day, don't leave me now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

scary people can go away now

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape