Hosted by Cecily and MamaGeek
You all know how I love shops that are filled to the brim with eye candy. The more glitter, sparkle and feathers, the better.
Right across from the famous house, is a Christmas shop.
With music rolling out through the doors grabbing at passersby and cinnamon-spicy smells enticing even the hardest Scrooge, I floated in with a huge grin on my face.
That goofy grin soon left when my brain screamed, "Breakable!"
I grabbed as many hands as possible and admonished the kids, "No touching" as they practically reached out with their tongues to feel the textures and absorb the magic.
I grabbed as many hands as possible and admonished the kids, "No touching" as they practically reached out with their tongues to feel the textures and absorb the magic.
The Hubby was finally overwhelmed with the sheer impossibility of leaving the store without paying for a broken item or two and took all of the children outside to a candy shop nearby. I then fairy-floated from one room to the next with precious ornaments dangling from my fingers, holding no one's hand while repeating "Stop touching!"
With so much freedom, I couldn't decide between the white feather garland and sparkly white snowflakes or the brightly coloured fairies or the whimsical Santas. I wandered back and forth through the mesmerized crowd.
One of the ornaments looped over one of my fingers was a glittery teapot. I decided I'd need two of those so I rode the shopper wave back to the display.
There they were.
I reached out for my little treasure...
...the teapot slipped from my finger...
and shattered. It looked like sparkling glass pixie dust there on the tiled floor.
One shopper graciously said, "I bet that's not the first time that's happened today".
Yeah.
I owe my children an apology.
Oh NO!! I hate when I end up doing the very thing I've punished my kids for ~ or even given them what-for in ADVANCE for!!!! Did they make you pay for it?
ReplyDeleteOh no! I have so totally been there. I am sorry that the little teapot broke, and I hope you got another one. Neat story - and oh how I would love to see Stratford Upon Avon some day!
ReplyDeleteAwwww, that's ok!! My three year old's favourite saying lately "that's okay, mommy, accidents happen!". LOL - smart kid! I LOVE Stratford Upon Avon, we were there a few years ago. My husband and I have family over there, so we've been to visit and LOVE IT!
ReplyDeleteOops! Surely a teapot encrusted with pixie dust could have lent a bit of magic and put all to rights. Hmmmm . . . some fairy was asleep at the wing, I daresay (maybe a naughty sprite was in charge at the moment). Oh well, hope you still ended up with tea for two. ; D
ReplyDeletep.s.
Shakespeare would be laughing his breeches off at the cost of touring his home. My, my . . . crazy world. Wonder if someone'll come touring my home for $ someday. I'll be living rent-free in Paradise by then, so I shouldn't bother to wonder.
AHHH! I hate being slapped in the face by the cold, steel fist of Irony!
ReplyDeleteSo, did you pay for the broken one, AND buy one for yourself? I hope so.
I'm not much for cluttered stores, but I can hang out in a Christmas store all day.
I think you were born in the wrong time period -- you should have been a Victorian -- their style of decorating was "way too much, is just right."
Actually, I really have no idea what your decorating style is...am I rambling?
that's a great photo, and yep - adults can break things accidentally too!
ReplyDeleteDoesn't that just figure?! *L*
ReplyDeleteOh that's sad! But I too love sparkly things!
ReplyDeleteI would love to visit that store someday!
Ah, I hate when that happens! Hope you still bought yourself one.
ReplyDeleteAnd it costs that much to tour Shakespeare's home? Ouch!
This is one of my biggest fears!
ReplyDeleteYikes! I hate it when I end up doing something I tried hard to keep my kids from doing!
ReplyDeleteoh no it dint,,, awhhh sorry.
ReplyDeleteOpps! I love the decorations in the first/second photo!
ReplyDeleteShakespeare was born in a very large house.
ReplyDeleteYou poor thing. It had to happen sooner or later. But I'm glad you had a little time alone in the fairy fart shop. I mean ... I mean ... you know what I mean.
I love you and your stories!!! Life is sooo funny--isn't it??!! Fairy fart--that's funny too! $100--is anybodies house worth that???!!!
ReplyDeleteOops!
ReplyDeleteI love the photos. Caught the mood!
it happened to me once when we visit a ceramics store.
ReplyDeletewell, I couldn't blame anyone, it could happen to anyone...
oh my!!! your heart must have shattered like the pieces you saw on the floor....
ReplyDeletehow much was the damage?
ValleyGirl: No, they didn't even though I adamantly offered. I carried the little £6 price tag around and the cashier just tossed it.
ReplyDeleteMomof3: I bought THREE ;-)
Chris: yes, you are ;-)
Bren: It costs that much for MY family. a family ticket is for 4, we have to add on extra people. A family of four pays nearly $50.00 depending on the exchange rate.
Ooops! Uh-oh. Well, that one is going to be hard to live down. Good to keep your sense of humor about the whole situation though. HA!
ReplyDeleteThat is just one of those things that is bound to happen sometime.
Sounds like a fun and lovely shop to spend a bit of dream time in. :)
First off, WOW! I love those photos you captured. It sounds like such a magical place.
ReplyDeleteSecondly, it happens. I hope you did walk out with at least one of them. LOL!
Oh no! I hate it when that happens. I just did that this morning. Warning and warning my kids not to spill their cereal all over and then I went and did it. Dur.
ReplyDeleteOh no! I hate it when that happens. I just did that this morning. Warning and warning my kids not to spill their cereal all over and then I went and did it. Dur.
ReplyDeletehow ironic, eh? we badger and badger our kids so that they don't break things, and when does mom go and do? that is a shame b/c i'm pretty sure that teapot was a cutie!
ReplyDeleteOh snap!
ReplyDeleteNo way!
I have yet to do this in a store. Can't believe I haven't. I'm a total klutz.
The photos are awesome though!
Don't you just hate it when that happens.
ReplyDeleteVisiting from PhotoStory Friday!
ReplyDeleteLovely photos and the story is just classic! I love the phrase "I then fairy-floated from one room to the next." Great writing!
Oooohhhhhh noooooo!!! Ouch.
ReplyDeleteI love Christmas Stores they are so wonderfully pretty.
ReplyDeleteDid they make you pay?
Ack! Is it bad that I laughed? I can't imagine how many times I've had to yell at mine "NO! We look with our EYES"! Bummer about the broken ornament. Glad you didn't shell out the big bucks at what is surely a tourist trap. Sounds like a mostly fun day.
ReplyDeleteAt least you were in the shop alone.. no one needs to know but us girls, right?!
ReplyDeleteAt least when I break something, I don't get mad. Now, if someone else breaks something, I don't say a word. I just secretly throw daggers at them in my mind.
ReplyDeleteYou're right. That Chrismas Shop would have had me on Cloud Nine.
Ack!!! I won't tell if you won't ;).
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! That would just be terrible!
ReplyDeleteOh no!
ReplyDeleteDon't be too hard on yourself tho, that could've happened to any of us!
Oh man, that stinks! Did they make you pay for it?
ReplyDeleteI'll keep my fingers crossed for you on the house!
ReplyDeleteoh, that hurts! I love your writing of this, your wit and your writing style. (I feel like I've been saying that a lot here.)
ReplyDeleteAnd that first shot is so sweet!
Karma is a B#@$%!! Sorry, sometimes my voluntary turrets (sp) just comes out...actuallay I would have said... oh s#$%!!
ReplyDeleteK- I'll be good...hugs.
Oops! I feel your pain. Beautiful shots of the fun.
ReplyDeletewhen we were in stratford only I went into the house and museum, for the same reason. hubby and child went out for ice cream (MQ surely enjoyed that more, anyways)
ReplyDeleteThat's too bad about the ornament, but I know exactly how you feel.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete