Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Did You ever see "Deep End of the Ocean"?

THIS is my worldShe is one of the most
fantastic gifts I have ever received.

And today, for some of the longest, heart-stopping moments of my life, We lost her.We did the car boot today (big yard sale in a HUGE field with whatever you can fit in the boot--trunk-- of your car) so that I could part with the some of the things I collect.

About 11 am, we did the child head count for the umpteenth time,
and came up one short.

No one could remember the last time they had seen her-- everyone thought someone else had her.
My husband canvassed the huge field swarming with strangers, while I stood at our stall willing her to come back to us. It took every bit of will power I had to stand there and not run screaming through the crowds like a psychopath.


Several people joined in on the search and became as panicky as I was.

A boy about 10 described what she was wearing and said he had seen her going towards the entrance.
Everyone headed that way. Except me.

My decision NOT to leave the stall was based on two things: The first being that maybe this wasn't such a big deal and she would somehow be in the car that I had checked 15 times already--if I left, then she might wander off.

The second made me finally understand something my mother did years ago.

I was 18 years old and dying in a hospital in Little Rock Arkansas. When my mother was told her "baby" wouldn't make it through the night, she refused to catch the first plane out of Arizona. She told me later that she felt like that would be giving me permission to die and she wasn't going to do that. Instead, she spread the word and in my little town of people where everyone knew everyone, a prayer vigil began. She arrived a day later and after a week more, I was released-- to the amazement of the entire Intensive Care floor.
So, the second thing influencing my choice to wait by the car:
if I didn't give into panic,
then there really wasn't any danger
and this wasn't really happening.

At one point, a lady looking far off into the distance said "Your boys are running back the direction your husband went, he must have found her!"

J2 turned his face our direction and waved. I thought, "Oh thank you, Lord!" and kept watching for my husband to appear. I finally spotted his head coming through the hedges by the entrance... he wasn't carrying her, so I waited until a break in the crowd would show me he had her by the hand.But he was walking too fast to be holding a toddler's hand.

My heart stopped. It had gone from trying to beat itself right out of my chest to complete silence. "This isn't happening. This isn't happening. Oh... my... my child is really gone!"
The stall, the car with the keys in it, my handbag with my military ID and cash, our car boot things and the British pounds we'd made meant absolutely nothing. The lady (who had become my left arm) and I began walking quickly. Just walking-- anywhere-- because standing still had killed my hopes.

We'd made it about 20 yards when a chorus rang out, "We have her!"

Tears sprang to my eyes. I ran for my baby -- held in a man's arms. His grandpa-like face shined love, hers... Inquisitive and oblivious to this dangerous world.Apparently she had crawled into his car, sat in his front seat and took apart two packs of cigarette papers while he loaded his unsold plants into the back of his car.

Thank you Lord that he was a kind man.
Thank you that it was HIS car she decided to visit and not someone else's.
Thank you Lord that we did NOT become (but easily could have been) that family on the news desperate for our child saying, "We only took our eyes off of her for a moment!".

35 comments:

  1. phew! those are the worst moments of any parent's life. i'm glad she's safe and that a good person found her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man. here I sit with tears streaming down my face because I have experienced that panic TODAY! My sons decided to "go visit daddy" without telling anyone. They just left. And I searched for them calmly at first. Then I got more and more panicked. When they came around the corner on our block I was relieved. Then ANGRY. They are grounded. Forever. not really- just 2 days. Which SEEMS like forever to them.

    I'm so very glad that your baby is ok.

    And seriously what is the story of you almost dying?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. All I can say is wow.

    So thankful you found her safe and sound,
    Sniz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh can I tell you the shivers going up and down right now??? I'm reading this story, being beguiled and scared and wondering the outcome. Looking at the beautiful pictures of the babe and thinking only good can come. And... in my hotel room, on the radio (who's alarm I'd not set) came on 'Louis Armstrong's 'What a Wonderful World') and i think to myself what a wonderful world ... oh yeah... (peace beloveds, peace)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow!! That's so scary!!

    I'm happy that God provided a nice man that would take care of her and help her home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Good Lord - this brought me to tears!! I was so frightened, as I have had those moments with each of my own children - where you are so frightened you can't even breath or think or feel a thing! I'm SO HAPPY she was okay and yet - thank God she climbed into the car of the certain man!

    Take care - Kellan

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY GOD! It's that feeling, isn't it, that can't be expressed. That moment in stasis that feels like cold metal through the soul...not that I've ever felt that or anything. OH MY GOD. I'm still feeling the after shocks! I am so glad you found her. (UNDERSTATEMENT!) Ohhh...
    aside...my daughter and then son had those same striped pj's...I bet she smells good in those too. So glad...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an experience. So glad it had a good ending. We take so much for granted...that their WILL be a tomorrow with everyone we love in it. Thanks for reminding me how precious each day is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, the relief. My heart was pounding. I was thinking this couldn't happen to such a great family. Thank God for the little mercies.

    And, I love her Rocking Pony tee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you found her!

    i know this fear. it is terrible. I lost the May Queen in a department store when she was almost 3. She had been hiding in the rounds of clothes, and when I peaked in the one I thought she was in, she wasn't there. So I tried another and then another... finally I got down on the floor and looked for her feet. Nothing. She was found over 5 minutes later ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STORE. I was crying, she was fine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you were able to find her. I think this is the terror of every parent, and your story brought tears to my eyes. I'm glad she's okay.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG you had me in a complete panic too. It really is the worst feeling isn't it? The worst. Thank goodness for her safe return.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so very glad you found her!!! That is a parents' nightmare ... I can't imagine what you went through.
    One of the reasons I could never watch that movie...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank God you found her safely.

    I've had a similar experience and I totally understand the place you were in. Fortunately, my little guy was smart enough to find a store employee, even at age 2, and we managed to get back together pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh thank God! That's the worst thing that can happen, I think, losing a child, especially permanently. I have one who was an escape artist. I'd find him, nekkid, halfway down our busy street. Two years old and he could scale the chain link fence.

    I'm SOOO glad you have your darling angel safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH MY....what an experience! My heart goes out to you. HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Breath. Breath. I am panicking over here even though I know everything is okay. My eyes are just filled with tears.
    I am so glad she is okay.
    Breath.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was only able to watch the movie because I had already read the book. Your title, in itself, scared the beejesus out of me.

    Damn Woman! You made me cry. I'm so glad you have her back. I'm sure that couldn't have been an easy time for you or anyone else in your family.

    Like you, I am sooo glad she found a truly nice person instead of someone that wasn't.

    I'm with Tara, I'm nosey and want to know the story you hinted about where you almost died. I'm glad she said something because I thought I was the only one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you everyone! Sorry I upset you :-(

    Ok Tara and Kari--
    1983 I was admitted to the Little Rock Hospital with the first case of Toxic Shock Syndrome. They had no clue what to do (since there had only been a handful of cases nation wide). Within a few hours my kidneys shut down and my lungs began filling with fluid. Luckily, I had a pretty amazing doctor (House anyone?) and am here to bore people with my stories :-)
    Thanks for askin...

    ReplyDelete
  20. For some inexplicable reason I am sobbing. What a powerful, powerful post. Thank GOD your baby is safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am sitting here inexplicably sobbing over this. Thank GOD your baby is safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  22. God is so very good, isn't He? We've been there. Several times. I know the panicky feeling, the immense relief, the heartfelt thank yous. I'm so, so glad that she's safe and you're a whole family again.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm new to your blog but I had tears in my eyes by the end.
    This is my worst nightmare, every parents actually. I remember feeling that way for the minutes until we found whichever kid wandered of. Thank God you found her!

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG! My heart almost stopped at the beginning of this story. Thank God you found her safe AND that the man wasn't some horrible pervert. My heart is still pounding. Give her lots of hugs & kisses tonight and tell her "Baby Not Leave. Ever." I had one like that too and it always freaked me out when she did a disappearing act. Mommy doesn't like disappearing acts.

    Count your blessings today.

    ReplyDelete
  25. omg! oh my flipping god! i was holding my breath while i was reading this!!! thank goodness everything turned out ok! that is the scariest feeling. it happened to me at a dept store during halloween time. the store was getting ready to go on lockdown...because my 4 y/o had disappeared. turns out, he was under a clothing display and he was scared to let us know where he was because of how loudly i was screaming for him. i know the feeling you felt. i hope we NEVER have to go through that...ever again!!
    ok...so, what happened to you when you were 19?
    i'm glad everything turned out fine on both counts!! really, really glad!!
    xoxoxoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow. I heald my breath as I read the whole thing. I can't imagine how you must have felt. My heartrate tripled just reading about it. She was definitely protected, thank God indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gosh... I am so glad everything turned out okay. I bet she had no clue as to the panic she had caused!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my goodness!!! That is a horrifying experience. I am so glad that you found your baby girl. Wow! What an amazing story.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank God she's safe and sound. I can't imagine that kind of agony...well, I can, but I sure don't want to. It's amazing how much a kid can do, how far they can go and how much panic they can cause in the space of just a few minutes. Amazing. I'm so glad all is well!!!

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW. HOLY FRIKKIN COW. I lost our toddler years back at the State Fair. She was GONE gone. It took us about 20 minutes to find her and it was the way you describe it. Like you are gonna die and like whatever you glanced away to see wasn't worth looking at cuz it cost you your child for the rest of your life.
    So traumatic.

    I am so glad to hear that she is fine and that someone kind found her. It restores your faith in humanity a bit, doesn't it?

    And don't be hard on yourself, we have all been there, I think. I hope. LOL.

    Hugs!
    Wendy

    And thank you for sharing your hospital story. I used to wear tampons for three or four days at a time in high school, and think I got some version of toxic shock ... I just never knew you couldn't keep wearing them if they hadn't been "used up". Now I can't wear them at all. They make me ill.

    TMI, huh? TMI.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you again for your thoughtful comments! I just spent the weekend camping and enjoying my gifts-- nothing like a good scare to get back on track:-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I hate when that happens! My kid disappeared when he was 4! He was watching football with the neighbor man and the man couldn't hear our knocking over the television. That was the longest 40 minutes of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  33. First visit and what a wonderful blog, even if you did make my heart quit beating. I lost my little granddaughter at the county fair once. after that I hooked a leash to her britches which infuriated her, but I didn't lose her again. Very very scary. God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  34. whooah, i got chills through me as i read this. so glad for you that she was okay.

    when our oldest daughter was a toddler, i was at the cashier stand and in a flash, she was GONE!!! just that fast, she somehow made it out to the parking lot. we were so lucky that we caught up with her before some crud did.

    blessings, kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  35. OH MY GOD. My heart reacted just like yours did as I read this. Thank God she is okay. But I do know what those moments of horror feel like. I've also read Deep End of the Ocean.

    Every parent's biggest fear.

    Gulp.

    ReplyDelete

This may be the only adult conversation I have all day, don't leave me now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

scary people can go away now

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape