It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God
that such men lived.
---George S. Patton, Jr.
Thank you for your kind words. I don't want to give the impression that we're walking around like zombies unable to cope with the concept of death, I really have been taking that break that mentioned three weeks ago when the kids began their summer holiday. We're halfway through it and there's so much we haven't accomplished.I do want to take a moment to tell you about Dave.
He was a kind man who loved his family.
He was that rare guy who wasn't threatened by me (even though I am the epitome of a 50's housewife, I have a mind of my own -- for some reason a lot of my friend's hubby's seem to think I am going to carry off their wives to a Women's Lib. demonstration or something).
He always treated me as kindly and as welcome as his wife did.
When my Hubby was deployed, Dave came over to do the oil change on my car, even though I was perfectly capable of doing it myself.
He also took time out of a family event at the school to check out the grinding noise my brakes were making (while we all stayed inside enjoying the day).
He loved Mike and Ike's
and singing karaoke (much to his wife's dismay).
And riding his motorcycle.
He married his partner (of 19 years) and mother of his three children in Feb.
A month later, was in a crash he was extremely lucky to limp away from (he managed to kick away from his bike as it slid under a tractor that had pulled out in front of him). The insurance paid for a new bike.
Recently at the village "Clairvoyance Night", the "psychic" singled him out, saying, "You're having automobile problems... have you had any trouble with an automobile?"
Dave responded, "Only when the wife is driving it."
He was killed on his way home from work tuesday, a collision with a car.
The village has this strange quiet sadness now.
We'll be ok. Last night when I climbed into bed, to finish my fourth book of the Twilight Trilogy (hah), a thunderstorm quietly rolled in. It was a gentle thunderstorm. That may seem like an oxymoron, but truthfully, it was gentle, lovely and reassuring. I've told you how I always have felt like storms are God's way of telling me everything will be alright. It takes thunder to get my attention apparently. Some times I'm harder to talk to than at other times.
Thunderstorms are NOT common here where we're living.
The Hubby is having a birthday tomorrow.
For his birthday, he took a couple of days of leave so that we could go to London with a friend and her children. But that fell through.
Then we planned a trip to a castle where they were having "Knight School", but with news of Dave, we left the planning until the morning of-- in case we were needed.
So, this morning we packed up the family and began the drive.
It's weird how every thought, every action takes you to what's stewing in your mind even when you're determined to make a day as "normal" as possible. When we'd talk about Dave, I would feel my throat getting tight and we'd sit in silence for a few minutes.
Leave it to kids to take your mind off of your troubles.
J2 said, "I don't feel so good" and within minutes began throwing up. Didn't see THAT coming, did you? Yeah, neither did we.
We were 20 minutes from the castle.
After a quick stop, we decided to press forward. He was holding a plastic carrier bag just in case.
As we pulled into the car park, A1 said, "I don't feel so good".
I shouted for sick child #1 to pass the "just in case" bag to the newly sick child where he proceeded to be ... well, sick.
Then J2 says, "I'm gonna ..." and he did.
As other tourists piled out of their cars anxious to begin the day, I was wiping faces while the hubby looked for a bin for the carrier bag.
There's sand sculpture competitions going on about an hour from here... I wonder if we should head that way next?
I miss your posts. I hope to be back on reading schedule soon, will you drop me a comment or email with the posts you want me to read most? hah.. the postest with the mostest.

Oh deary. Such a kindred spirit I think.
ReplyDeleteMy throat is tight just reading this. And you are being so strong, but I can feel the grief just under the surface.
And still my throat is tight.
I'm glad you are trying to muddle along and make the most of the rest of this summer. And I hope you do find some peace and comfort.
And on a seperate note- I love your blog look. The background is just amazing and so perfect. And I am going to leave your music playing as I go jumping around to the rest of my blogs. Beautiful!
Big hugs, lady! I wish I could come visit and keep you company. Cuz that is what you'd need. Three more kids running around. Ha! ;)
So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. sounds like he was a wonderful man.
ReplyDeleteKids are great aren't they. Keepin' it real!
Hope things are lookin' up real soon.
tears for you my friend.
ReplyDeletemy kids puked all over us during our family vacation to Jasper, Alberta (beautiful place... marred forever by my children puking on the side of the beautiful road).
And you can pretty much skip all my posts... I'll just give you the basic rundown... my life sucks. our church is mean to my husband. our health care system is screwing up the help I am trying to get for my son's issues. we are still broke. And my mom went on vacation to my birthplace (White Rock, BC... google it) for 3 weeks which is giving us a lovely break. I still hate cleaning my house. I still love your playlist.
There you have it friend. Enjoy the second half of your break!
Dave sounds like he was a true friend. I'm so sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday to the Hubby, I hope you all have a great time.
At least you got a warning, my stepson would never say anything and just throw up. I'm like, didn't you know you didn't feel right?
How long have you been in England? I see your using more "english" terms for certain things.
I'm so sorry for your loss. We'll keep you and that family in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful tribute, it's hard to find reason things like this happen. I'm so sorry.
ReplyDeleteMan. I read this and then feel like I get a little closer to his life. I gravitate a little toward loss having experienced it when I was very young. But then I scamper away hoping it won't bite me again. (Touch wood.) I FEEL so big for his wife and kids. Wish that would help somehow.
ReplyDeleteAnd that you all ended up chucking at the castle's walls is just. plain. weird. Hope you're better in all ways.
There are many who moan over the lost, all because they have not treated them right, one way or another....yet day in day out, someone dies every second, sometimes I wonder, how many more deaths before one can see that DON'T WAIT for the person to die to regret. Treat the person right now, when he/she is still breathing! Spend more time and all of that....
ReplyDeletesorry, I ranted over here, I'm just a little pissed with some people (NOT YOU) who complains and cries so hard during the funeral but have never willing to take a step closer to the one that's lying in the coffin. *sigh*
Well, I'm late in arriving here. I am behind on my blog reading. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. The quote from Patton is so true. It is best to remember to be grateful that you knew Dave and that he was a part of your life. Of course, that doesn't take away the sadness and pain, but it does aid in the healing. I'm sending a big hug and wishing you a bit of peace however you can find it.
ReplyDeletei'm so sorry for your loss, and for your friend. i know that you will be a blessing to Dave's family as they struggle through this.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for the loss of your friend - I will keep them in my prayers. And Happy Birthday to your husband!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry for the death of your friend, Dave. Your post is a wonderful tribute to his life.
ReplyDeleteThere's nothing quite like kids and their temporary (hopefully) woes to ground us in reality. I hope your celebratory day improved significantly as it progressed. A belated Happy Birthday to your hubby.
I laughed and I cried. Good writing always does that. I can totally relate to these words.
ReplyDelete