Sunday, September 20, 2009

All This Post Needs Is Some Popcorn

Him: "It's a Homophone"

A fragmented sentence to answer a question from long before.

"...I think... one of the Veggie Tales songs mentions it."
(this is dangerous grounds-- mentioning what movie may have referenced a word we are currently having a brain freeze over could lead to another freeze when we desperately now try to remember the movie)

Me: "Yeah, that sounds right..." (Whew! more brain aerobics diverted)

Him: "It must be it because 'Homo' means 'same'--like
homogenized milk, it's all mixed up so that it will be the same"

Me: "Well now you're talking crazy, because a homophobe isn't afraid of 'sameness'"

Him: "'Homo' means 'same'"

Me: "So a homophobe is afraid of anything that might be the same. I could be considered a Homophobe because I don't want to hear you quote the same Monty Python lines over and over."

Ok, I didn't really say that, but I thought it.

Do you memorize films? Do you seriously come out of a first viewing of a movie theater perfectly capable of doing an entire monolog from that movie?"

I can watch one 3 times in one sitting (Twilight?) and still not quote it right.

I watched a newer release recently. The Time Traveler's Wife. I couldn't wait because years ago I read the book and loved it. It's all twisty and complicated if you put too much thought into it and I like that, so it was with great anticipation I headed out a second time to see it (the first time I got stuck behind a tractor and got there too late. I nearly cried).

I liked it.
And I was disappointed.

I just wonder if Hollyweird seriously thinks I need the gratuitous nekked butt shots to be happy with a movie (Did I just blog about nekked butts on a Sunday?).
I mean, I expected him to be starkers, because let's face it, he's slipping in and out of time and you can't take your clothes with you when you do that, but SHE did not have to show me hers.
Maybe it was a "gift" to all the poor saps dragged to the cinema with their wives. I don't know, my poor sap was at home with a nekked bathing 2 year old.

I can't tell you one line accurately from the movie either.

I can tell you that I'm not phobic of going out to a movie all by myself again. It was bliss. And if I find one I really like, I may watch the same movie over and over again. That would be Homocinematastic I think.

29 comments:

  1. Was his naked butt nice, or shall I wait to watch it on dvd? Beacuse I'll go out of my way if you tell me it's worth it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo. Is it a no go? It's always fun here;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just dropping by - very overdue call - sorry I am dreadfully busy at work - take care ~ Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty fond of nekked butts. Oh yes I am. I did, however, marry a movie line quoter, and when he does that, I like his nekked butt a little less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to the movies by myself--it's pretty appealing though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA! Sounds like you had fun. I'm glad you got out on your own for a bit. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no idea how I found you but the conversations were funny :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Homocinematastic!!
    And I thought I could create some cool new words. I worship you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved The Time Traveller's Wife so much I will not watch the movie.

    Congrats on your POTD mention.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Profanity and nudity have always irked me in movies. It doesn't enhance the plot, and it just makes it so that I can't enjoy things with my kids.

    And we're all avid movie quoters. We pass time on car trips playing "guess this movie line."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sigh...I loved this post. It made me wonder if we are all homogenized because I have had some of these same conversations with a friend...well, nearly the same...Monty Python included...and yes, I was rather disappointed in the movie as well...for the very same reason! Hollyweird...love it. Congrats on Post of the Day nomination from David...that man knows a good thing when he reads it!
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! Congratulations for your POTD mention at authorblog. AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  13. POTD visiting. Thoroughly enjoyed the post, especially that you make up new words.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post!! Congrats on the Post of the Day Award!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the POTD.. how I feel like I've homoginized with the other commenters here.. but we're all right.. it;'s a fine post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The conversation you describe sounds like something from my house!
    And I'm dying to see that movie! I read the book a while ago too and loved it. Maybe I will go see it alone one day while the kids are in school.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I so love the Homocinematastic over and over:) It is very refreshing..soda and popcorn to myself..cell phone off...AND if it is crowded in the theatre..I ONLY need one seat!:)

    How are you? So fun reading your posts..seems like it has been forever!;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Last winter I took myself to see Australia 10 times in the theater. And I'd do it again. :) My sister and I plan to take each other out for a full day of New Moon when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hahahahaha! And congrats on the POTD mention. And greetings from a Sitsta, saw the sign, you know! Some people have total recall of things they hear, others don't and it all depends on whether you are visual or not. What's that word for people who live through what they hear - audiocentric I think - yeah, some folks are governed by what they hear, and others by what they see and others by their inner comfort level. I know I'm definitely audio because I've done quizzes about it! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  20. HA! I don't remember one line even if I practice. I'm a movie quoting write-off!

    I love that you go by yourself to movies. I'm looking forward to it...very, very soon.

    (HA, verification is whiney...that's funny!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. i go to movies byself quite a bit. um... relatively speaking. of the 4 or 5 movies i see per year in a theatre, half are probably by myself. ;)

    and yes, Henry does have to have the nekkid thing going. but not Claire.And oddly enough I thought that Eric Bana was TOO buff for Henry. I always pictured him lankier.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha, oh this is a subject close to my heart! Actually, it is not so much the movie-quotes that gets to me. Twenty years ago, I couldn't sit through a movie with my in-laws without them both squawkig every five mins, "Oooh, look - that's thingie-mi-jig, you know, what-his-name from XYZ - what's he called again??" Used to drive me nuts. Now they've passed, it's my darling hubby who does it. Sigh.

    Good on you for going on your own - when you have young children, babysitters are not always free (other than the other half), and it's good to have only yourself to answer to once in a while (naked butt's an' all)!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like going to movies on my own! I am dying to see TTW, but now you have me worried.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for stopping over at mine. I'm so glad you got back to me. I'll be back to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good for you. Who can see you sitting on your own in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  26. As with most movies.. The book is always better.. Luv'd the Time Travelers Wife - book. =)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I want to see it too. I drive the husband crazy because I know the line they are going to say before they say it. I have to rely on commercials to surprise me anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Going to a movie by myself years after marriage and children - never thought of that! I'll have to ditch the family and try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would so love to see a movie that is intended for an audience over 10. Loved this post!!

    ReplyDelete

This may be the only adult conversation I have all day, don't leave me now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

scary people can go away now

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape