Sunday, September 14, 2008

Falling, Thanking and Giving--it's all Good.

Do you smell that?
Crisp clean air. Do you hear the rustle of leaves, see a blue in the sky that you forgot existed and haven't seen since your last box of 64 Crayola goodness?
It's Fall folks, my absolute most favourite time of the year.

In the summer, there's a moment in the day when the light is just right and I'll say, "Do you feel that? It feels like Autumn" and everyone thinks I'm nuts. But it's really here (close enough).

To celebrate the euphoria I'm feeling over welcoming back my old friend, Fall, I am having a give away.
Actually, it's not a giveaway per se, it's an I'm-going-to-reward-one-of-you-for-stretching-your- brain-cells...away giveaway.

Here's the rules:
There are people who come and go in our lives. Some are there for a long time, others just long enough to leave a permanent mark. I'd like to plaster the blog world with thank you letters. Thank you's to average everyday people who made a difference in your life at one time or another.
Please write a blog post in the form of a "Thank you" letter. To someone that has passed through your life. They can be living or not so much so. They could've touched your childhood, or maybe they just entered.

You can leave a comment (comments are my drug of choice), but your entry will be when you post one of these "letters" and link to that specific post in the Mr. Linky thing-a-ma-jiggy below.
A winner will be picked randomly by my not-so-technical-random generator (yeah, one of my kids will use his grubby little paw to pull your name out of a basket-- no cheating).

Hey, no pressure. I'm giving you until the last day of September.

You want to know what you're winning?

A goody box from England of course. It will absolutely have chocolate (I feel safe mailing it now that most of the heat has subsided-- who am I kidding, we never had heat), and other goodies (books, cds, silliness?) thrown in for fun. Now, go rake some leaves while you're thinking of people to thank.


Attention: Mr. linky seems to have slipped out for a potty break. Please leave your post info in the comments section until he returns. (And don't worry, the random generator will be drawing per name, not by number you enter by).

41 comments:

  1. What a nice idea. More people deserve thanks. This makes me remember one day this past Spring. Our loan manager at our bank helped us get a loan. He didn't do a billion percent extra but he was new and went out on a limb for us. Also, he's new to the community and there aren't a whole lot of East Indians up here, or much mixed ethnicity at all. We had great chats about travel while we filled out paperwork, about how it feels to be a minority. Anyhow, about a week after we got the loan I sent him a note to let him know how much we appreciated his help. He called me back and we both ended up crying on the phone. Turns out lots of people look at banking officers much like they look at lawyers, as villains. He said my gratitude filled him. I told him his help filled me. Sometimes it's just in our stopping and giving Thanks that we can so easily help each other through life. It doesn't take much. (I know, I know, this isn't my post. Maybe I'll think on that a bit. I've a lot of people to thank in my life. I could base the rest of my blog on this. Lovely - you are, to think of this.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I am SO in. Don't let me forget. Its something I need to think about...

    Fall is my favorite too. I love everything about it. The smells, the colors, the sweater weather. I get all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally with you on Fall being my favorite season. I love it. I hope we get one. Right now it's just rainy and mucky, and has been for days.

    What a great idea! I'll absolutely do it. Besides, I want some English chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the fall! It's been hot and muggy the last couple of days, then hurricane Ike blew threw last night, taking the nasty weather with it. This morning? GORGEOUS.

    I'm so in, BTW. Once I'm awake again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leaves? What leaves? English chocolate sounds lovely, but I'm not sure I can stretch my brain that far. I'll have to think...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not seeing much fall in sight around here except for the acorns that crash onto my new deck (Argh!), but I shall put on my imaginary spectacles of the heart and get to thinking. Hmmmm ... the hard part? Picking only ONE person to thank. ; ) GREAT contest. (I generally avoid contests altogether.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful, fabulous, lovely idea. I am definitely going to work on this afternoon. Sounds like the perfect Sunday afternoon activity--writig letters. I'll come back and link when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea. I'll get to work. don't forget tea! I may have goofed and signed the linky thingie too quickly. I am easily confused.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun! I'm in. Just give me a bit to write in and I'll come back and sign the linky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i may be able to do that. ;) great idea.

    but FALL? honey, it's 87 degrees here today. oh, how I miss fall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok my first entry is posted, and I may have more this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm in. my computer just did something funky and erased my other, super long comment. and i have no recollection what i wrote...i was just babbling...much like i'm doing now!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea. Random generator pick me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll be in, I will. I just need to take a bit of time to write it just right!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea! I'm usually terrible at writing a post for a specific idea, but I'll have to think about it because I am an Aero Bar addict. You don't know how good you have it with free access to that little piece of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi sweet jeri,
    awh, sweet idea. I like your post. I can see what you were telling me about.

    you rock, beany

    ps. does my tribute post that inspired you count as entry?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think this is a wonderful idea, I'm in! Thanks for sparking something so positive and heart warming, we all could do with reminding ourselves ocassionally of all those who have enriched our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fall is absolutely the best season ever. It makes me smile and my heart rejoice. And that's a very good reasont to write a wonderful thank-you letter to someone very near and dear. What a fabulous idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great idea! I am going to think of someone to thank and post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dude, I LOVE this idea. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Now off to think!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's who you are, aren't you? always grateful for the people around you...that's how this idea came about right?

    Hmmm...not sure If I'm going to participate...'cos sending it all the way to Singapore...would you do that if I was the lucky pick from your little one's chubby hand? *wink* But I LOVE THE PRIZE!!! What better prize is there than CHOCOLATES!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Angeline-- actually it's not me, it was I'm So Grateful To Be Mormon that inspired this give away. And I have NO PROBLEM mailing a prize to Singapore, Canada or anywhere else, so write away!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yup! Fall is the best. One of my kids asked me the other day, "Mom, what is your least favorite season?" I said, "Probably first it is winter. Next it is summer, next spring and then fall. In other words, I LOVE fall, then spring the next best. Summer is okay, and winter, while it's okay for a while...I get real sick of it by the end!" And..I'm in on the Thank you thing. While I have so many people that come to mind, I will narrow it down.

    ReplyDelete
  24. WooHoo! Fall is my favorite too. I love the days that are sunny with just a cool breeze blowing or a cold "bite" to the air.

    For some reason, I no longer see the section where I enter my link for your giveaway so here is the link for it http://finallyemerging.wordpress.com/2008/09/17/thank-you-letterthank-you-letter/

    Great idea! Thanks for reminding us that we need to be thankful to those that have touched our lives and reminding us that we are not an island unto ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for the heads up. I've gone out to the Mr. Linky site and there seems to be a problem either on my end or theirs-- I'll try to get it fixed. I really wanted others to read the posts that were done. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've written it, but it won't post till tomorrow. I'll try and get back this weekend to do the linky thing. And I just realized that it's not in the form of a letter. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I finally did it. Mr Linky has all my info. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Okay, I did it. I'm not sure it's written very well, but it's heart-felt.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I wrote a second letter and have included the link on your blog.

    I'm loving this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Count me in too! What a wonderful idea! Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. so i AM going to say that my birthday wish is a thank you to my husband...b/c it just really is and i like it, so there is my awesome post link for you :)
    have fun choosing a proper winner!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is a great idea in the midst of crazy life that things are good and that great people are in my life. I needed this today! I'm sure the kids will love picking the winner.

    ReplyDelete
  34. AWESOME idea. i totally posted my letters..go have a look-see.

    i came over by way of Cecily. I BIG red puffy heart her and we have lots of bloggy friends in common. so i guess whether you like it or not you are a new bloggy friend of mine. i am adding you to my reader and roll.

    now i am off to poke around your blog and learn more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great idea. Am I too late. I had a blog reader that did me a special little favor recently. Here is the post with the story and my expression of gratitude.

    http://organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/2008/09/boys-of-october.html

    ReplyDelete
  36. I adore this idea and I am so on it - anything for Chocolate and from GB to boot! My hubbie used to travel there all the time and bring me goodies - I miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This was a fantastic idea. Gratitude is one of the greatest attributes a person can possess and express. Thank you for the opportunity to flex that muscle.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm late, but slipped it in. The post is up today thanking Team Micah. Great contest - really made me aware of how much I have to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete

This may be the only adult conversation I have all day, don't leave me now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

scary people can go away now

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape