Monday, September 29, 2008

The 3 R's: Reading, Riting, and (Belated) Recognition

Dear Miss Hutton,

In the year 1978 you will discover in your high school English class, a thin girl with a huge chip on her shoulder.
Please ignore the attitude, she's only like that because her dad passed away suddenly and no one has taken the time to talk about her feelings. No one has realized the crazy things that might go through a 13 year-olds' mind after the unexpected loss of a parent. She lost the one she had chosen to live with in an impending divorce--never mind the fact that they chose not to divorce and had begun working through their marital issues, the teenager only knew that the woman her father had turned her against was now her only parent.

Anyway, she's not a bad egg. She likes to act silly and get the laughs, but really, she just wants some attention. It honestly has never occurred to her that she might be disrupting your class.

Miss Hutton, I know you and I know that I don't even need to mention any of this.

I know that you are going to reach out to her in a subtle way. You won't blatantly try to fluff up her ego-- something that she would definitely fight.
You will encourage her to write and then give her ideas that she could actually be good one day. You will make it fun for her to diagram sentences even though she has no idea why she has to learn it, and when she's older, every sentence in her head will jump into formation and she'll think of you.

That same girl will begin to trust you so much, she will even try out for your softball team. Sad really, because the girl is SO un-athletic. She tends to throw up when she runs, so don't take it personal that she's grumbling about doing laps.

You will touch her life in ways you can't ever imagine.

You will never see how she pulls out of the awkward teenage years and goes on to have a large family and a loving husband. She'll love writing and it will be because of you. The things you teach her about the English language will pop into her mind long after you are gone.

That is sad for me to say,
because you will leave this earth earlier than anyone expected. You will leave before she can properly thank you.
Please find comfort knowing that because of that missed opportunity, she thanks people who make a difference in her children's lives.
She's written thank you notes to her 2nd grade teacher who cried and said that in 30 years she had never been thanked.
That thin girl with a huge chip will be grateful for you...
and because of you.

Thank you, Linda. Enjoy your new Freshman class and may God bless you.

**Tuesday's the last day to enter my thankful-themed Giveaway-- hurry and get your post up!**

33 comments:

  1. That is lovely! Speaks volumes about you too, who you were, and who you've become.
    Amazing how one person can have so much influence in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, I cried. I am always amazed at how much teacher's impact and shape our lives. That's why I get so mad about teacher's who are so horrible to the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a moving tribute and such a precious encouragement to others to look beyond a "chipped shoulder" and into the "chipped heart." May we all love as your teacher has.

    I am inspired, but still have yet to "pen" my post . . . I'm doubtful it will be in time for the drawing, but cannot be ignored -- God has bubbled some interesting stuff to the surface whilst I have pondered your "contest." (Um . . . no I will not forward you a fee for the therapy you have provided. Oh wait ... yes I will -- ((((HUG)))!!!!

    You're precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was wonderful and touching and wow. That was great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heartfelt and beautiful. If the world as a whole were this thoughtful, what a different world we would have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So wonderful. And I applaud you for taking time to thank deserving people. I love to do that too, although I could do it a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's still time to enter? I thought I missed it. I'll have to get something together quick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This right here is your perfect post. And you couldn't be more right, all it takes is one good person (or teacher) to make ALL the difference.

    Beautiful my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. And wow. Would it be wrong to put you in my post of the week two weeks in a row? Cuz, um, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, J...just wow. What a moving and wonderful tribute. It says so much about you both. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful! I read it so slowly, making sure that I don't miss a word or an emotion or a thought...I could feel the words...this is truly a post from the very deep part of the heart....

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a nice letter! Interestingly, my mom died in 1978 and no one then either sat down to explain or discuss at all emotions, feelings, etc.

    I am still laboring over the thank you letter...who should I write it to (I have several ideas), what should I write, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  13. A really beautiful and moving post. I am sure that Miss Hutton knows . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, J, that's so touching. I'm so glad for you and this woman's role in your life at such an awkward age and a difficult time in life. Saving this gratitude letter for the last day is beautiful genius.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that was really swell. seriously. no sarcasim intended.
    as i was reading it was was trying to think of that "one" teacher that had perhaps touched me and made me just a little bit better as a teenager and i'm not sure yet if i've got one....but you got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Made me cry...so sweet and tender..what a loving tribute to a wonderful lady in your life..thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I come from a long line of teachers, beginning with my Great Grandfather, and my sister who retired after 30 years of teaching still can't tear herself away from the classroom...they would find this a beautiful and touching post...straightforward and warm, honest and so very well written they would love to claim you as a student.
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  18. As a former teacher, I only hope that I inspired one child the way she did you. That is one of the most wonderful tributes I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just beautiful. Love the idea of writing this type of letter to someone and love the way you penned this one. Gorgeous.

    I've enjoyed your comments so much over at my place! So, so good to 'meet' you--I'm loving looking around your place!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely and touching. Giving thanks is something that we NEED to do. Being thankful changes our whole perspective of life, it makes tough circumstances easier to bear, even when they don't change. Isn't it awesome that their are people placed into our lives at just the right time? God knew your need and he provided just the right person at just the right time. He delights in doing that, and we always seem to be surprised.
    Tonight I am thankful to be home. Thankful for clean sheets and a cool breeze. Thankful for America. Thankful for this bloggy way of meeting people all over the world, people like you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow - that was really heart felt!!
    Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sniff, oh man that is beautiful. And so true. Thanks YOU! Thanks for bringing the simple joy and importance of thanks back into my life. It is easy to forget.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can hardly see as I write this tribute. It was beautiful and stirred memories of the one teacher in my splintered education who inspired me to meet my potential.

    Well deserved POTD and I have found you, thanks to David, once again,

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on Post of the day!
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fantastic post and so heart felt. I sadly don't have kids, so cann't thank a teacher. I do however wish my Mum had thanked Mrs Warburton, she told me it was OK to be left handed and put a dot at the top left and bottom right of the page to stop me writing backwards after having the pen forced in my right hand.

    God bless YOU, Mrs Hutton and Mrs Warburton.

    Debs x and congrats on POTD!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wonderful post! You SO deserve the post of the day from David! Congrats! :)
    I think most of us have had a teacher or person touch our lives and then not taken the opportunity to tell them.
    So beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  27. As a former teacher . . .all I can say is, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great job! You have learned well how to say "Thank You". The story from the Bible seems to hold true; only one out of ten takes the time to say "thank you". Most of the time I intend to be the one but don't get it done. You inspire me to make more effort. Thank You. See, I'm getting better already.

    ReplyDelete

This may be the only adult conversation I have all day, don't leave me now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

scary people can go away now

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape